The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ECU and remap where should I go

supra650

Hi just joined the site just brought a supra fitted with twin TD05H-18G turbos its a jap import and needs i think a ECU and a remap as keeps fouling plugs to soot and has missfire when first started where it keeps revin up an down and kangarooin if try to drive it, most of time if you sit and hold high revs it goes and then you can stop an start all day no probs, but needs sortin where should i go i live in east sussex also would like to get it looked over first to see if this is the fault, Have just fitted HKS 45i grade 9 plugs as Andy Whincup of RSE motor sport told me that it should be puting out 650bhp on 1.4 bar. an he recommended these.

Hey, welcome! :)

Not sure about your car troubles. TBH I've personally not heard of the TD05H-18G turbo, what is it exactly? I'm sure an expert will be along to help shortly though.

Have you had your car long? 650bhp? that sounds very impressive, from twins though? Blimey I thought that sort of power was mostly restricted to those big singles!

anyway, good to see another local member, I'm also in Sussex :) Maybe catch you at a local meet sometime :)

Hi they are Greddy turbos an they both come in at 4k the car is an 1993 6 speed with 4" exhaust/ down pipe,external wastegate with screamer pipe,FMIC.blitz boost controller,ultra speed metre,blitz multi assist computer system (any info on the operation of this would b good)i know it controls the two additional injectors on the intake plenium. purple injectors, paddel racing clutch,tubilar manifolds,apexi induction,bigger breathers,it was sposed to have apexi management but cant find it, if i change the plugs again wheres the best place to get them an does it or should it be re mapped?

cheers

Hi they are Greddy turbos an they both come in at 4k the car is an 1993 6 speed with 4" exhaust/ down pipe,external wastegate with screamer pipe,FMIC.blitz boost controller,ultra speed metre,blitz multi assist computer system (any info on the operation of this would b good)i know it controls the two additional injectors on the intake plenium. purple injectors, paddel racing clutch,tubilar manifolds,apexi induction,bigger breathers,it was sposed to have apexi management but cant find it, if i change the plugs again wheres the best place to get them an does it or should it be re mapped?

cheers

It sounds from your description that is an ECU mapping problem. Personally I would not drive the car until you get it properly looked and and sorted, as you could potentially do a LOT of damage driving it in it's current state.

You really need to identify what ECU/fueling computer it is using and get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing.

Yeah I agree with that, if the mapping is out with such a set up you could do a whole world of damage to the engine = expensive!

But has the car ever run ok or it was like this when you got it?

As nic says, you've got to establish exactly what ecu mods you have first really, before you can speculate as to what might be wrong.

well it sounds like the Blitz MACS is the fuel controller and the thing running those extra injectors too - presumably you have found that?

So if it's using this, why would it also have an Apexi management system as well? I'm no expert but that bit doesn't make sense to me.

So maybe you need to find someone who knows how to set up the Blitz system?

Do you have a wideband afr meter and/or an EGT gauge to make sure everything is healthy?

BTW turbos not spooling to 4k rpm? sounds high, so the "go" is all up at the top end then I take it.

Yes i found that, when accelerating the injection led's on the computer would go up as you put ur foot down now they dont the computer still controls the boost pressure and revs and is lit up so is workin but not as perhaps it was. the blitz computer has revs boost and gain anyone know wot gain does? yes got EGT guage.

Yes the GO is at the top end you have to use the gears but it does go when it goes ill have to phone around tomorrow to try find out more re blitz computer an remap etc

Gain kind of "accelerates" the boost control i.e. it tries to accelerate the time taken for the turbos to come online - well as much as physically possible of course.

Does the MACS unit have stored memories? Like presets? maybe it's settings got changed by accident?

Just a thought, but it didn't start doing this after filling up with a lower grade (ron) of fuel did it?

B the HKS S45i are iridium plugs and so can not be gapped.

Sounds like a mapping problem, rather than wrong plugs.

True, I was thinking of the NGK coppers that I use that are gapable. I used the HKS 45's and had a bad misfire around town, would clear with high EGT's but return again. Went to NGK coppers (bkr8es) which is one grade warmer and it cured the prob.

Would agree it needs the map checking against a WB though.