The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought Supra, advice please...

whitesupratt

As some of you may know, from helping me with getting a new clutch, I have just bought a J spec Supra TT, its completely standard other than a backbox, I have included a picture.

Any advice on what to do next...money permitting abviously!

Also, the key things to keep an eye on and maintain would be cool, cant afford to repair it through neglect.

I had these wheels mind, black center with polished rim, what size do you think?

supra side.JPG

wheel.JPG

the key things to keep an eye on and maintain would be cool, cant afford to repair it through neglect.

exactly....dont worry to much about the mods dude......maintain the car correctly, focus on the essentials ie oil + fluid changes, changing old pipework etc, brakes and suspension

sorry for sounding like an old man, but I find its a shame now a lot of supra owners are neglecting the essentials and focusing more on bling and mods when they should focus on maintainance.....(obviously there are the few that can afford both)

sorry rant over

welcome buddy :tongue:

Guest nwrock69

if you do decide to change your standard wheels can you contact me because i need to buy a set of rims to get mine through an sva test! also need standard air filter too if u decide to change that,at least the cash will help you out towards some flash rimms! cheers !!!

Guest KARacing

Hi whitesupratt,

First of all, congratulation on your purchase. I am sure that you will love the Supra so much. Mine is J-spec VVT-i Turbo 6SPD. For the oil change, You should change all oil and fluid right away since you might not know when did the previous owner do it. Here is the list which you should do it.

Engine Oil (I use TRD Engine Oil)

L.S.D. (I use TRD L.S.D Fluid)

6 SPD Tranny (I use Toyota V160)

brake fluid (I use TRD's)

Coolant (I use TRD's)

Spark Plugs (I use TRD's)

Oil Filter (I use TRD's)

Air Filter (I use TRD's)

Timing belt (I use Toyota and you should change yours if the car has over 60000KM)

Note: Change your engine oil on every 5000KM or early (I change mine on every 3000KM :) )

If you still have any question. Please feel free to pm or email me directly. Cheers

I'm interested in whats best for servicing also, as mine will need doing soon enough.

When it comes to TRD stuff, can this be purchased from Mr T just like the regular vanila brand toyota stuff?

Whats the best grade of oil to use? I thought "red for life" (think thats what it was called) was the best coolant, is the TRD stuff even better still?

When it comes to TRD stuff, can this be purchased from Mr T just like the regular vanila brand toyota stuff?

Toyota UK dealers don't sell TRD stuff AFAIK, pm if you need any TRD parts ;)

Whats the best grade of oil to use? I thought "red for life" (think thats what it was called) was the best coolant, is the TRD stuff even better still?

I wouldn't bother with the TRD oil, as it won't be readily available there and I would guess will be v expensive if you can find it. Suggest you contact Oilman he seems to be able to get good deals for members, see contact details [user=2402]HERE[/user].

Guest KARacing
I'm interested in whats best for servicing also, as mine will need doing soon enough.

:mail:

Note: Change your engine oil on every 5000KM or early (I change mine on every 3000KM :)

You live in Hong Kong though, which is very different driving conditions to the UK.

With general UK driving, using modern synthetic oils you should be fine with 5000-8000 MILE oil changes.

Guest KARacing
You live in Hong Kong though, which is very different driving conditions to the UK.

With general UK driving, using modern synthetic oils you should be fine with 5000-8000 MILE oil changes.

I used to live in US and Canada also and I did change my engine oil on every 2500 miles (it depends on what mod you have on the car and how hard you drive ;) )

Thanks guys, if the TRD oil is not readily available in the uk then I'll go for oilmans stuff, I've head that the silkolene stuff is very good anyway.

Not sure about the coolant then, for the cost of shipping I guess I might be better off getting the stuff uk Toyota dealers sell, Red4life IIRC.