The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Bust Turbo??

SteveR

(Manual J-spec TT6, approx 38.5k miles)

OMG my beloved Supe is having a bad weekend!! :cry: Please help me guys!!

1st Prob

I'm getting clouds of blueish smoke when I floor it from a standstill, only seems to be after the car has warmed up and sat in traffic for a few minutes. This happened once yesterday but I couldn't make it happen again. It's since happened 2~3 times today! :(

2nd Prob:

The 2nd turbo doesn't seem to be working any more!

I get a slow build to 0.7 bar boost on the first turbo, then it dips at 3,500 revs (as normal), but then only gets back up to 0.7 bar again, at about 4,200 revs (instead of what I was getting: 0.7 bar almost immediately as I put my foot down, small dip at 3500 revs, then a solid 0.8bar from 4000 onwards.

Are the two related? I was assuming that the 2nd prob is a blown/split/popped-off hose, but the clouds of blueish smoke... please tell me my turbos are ok!! :(

TIA

Steve

at 38.5k miles highly unlikely unless the car has not been looked after, (oil starvation, little oil change) but from what you describe it sounds like the turbos,

are you lossing oil? if so how much?

is it smoking blue on idle?

any whining noise from the turbos? (not the usual whistle noise)

Good luck mate, keep us posted. plenty of help on here and solid advice from others.

There is no smoke on idle that I can see, and no burning oil smell when I go round the back and have a quick sniff.

No whining from the turbos that I've noticed, and I'm paranoid about noises coming from cars, so I think I'd have noticed - plus I've bene paying extra special attention since I saw the first cloud of smoke.

There doesn't seem to be much oil loss, problem is I haven't checked it for about 500miles - it's about 2/3rd of teh way down from "F" to "L" at the moment, but I'm not going to drive it till it's fixed, of course.

As far as I can tell, it's had 1 owner in Japan, it's in mint condition (no mods, bar boost guage and turbo timer - which I use also (and I never boost until it's warmed up for a good 10 mins)) so I'd be surprised if it's been abused - even Jurgen said it pulled at least as well if not better than all the other stock TTs he'd imported - it did for me too until today! :cry:

Tell me what to check guys... and what the £££ damage might be. :(

P.S. I'm hoping to send it to Chris Wilson for a full service & check over soon too BTW - I planned this before the problems arose, just to be sure it's got all the right fluids & plugs etc in the right places, and so on.

Thanks guys,

Steve

ok well, I guess it can sit in the garage till I can afford the service, lol!

There is definitely blue smoke tho... (and deffo down on power - not only can I feel it but I have a boost gauge and can see it) and I have to admit I'm worried!!! :(

If anyone else has any ideas or help in diagnosing the problem, or a likley place to look for bust/popped-off hoses, please let me know! :)

The only thing the blue smoke makes me think of is an early manifestation of the valve stem seals - but the car seems too low a mileage and in good nick for it to be that... Odd.

The slow turbo boost sounds like a leak of some sort. It's the tedious check-all-your-hoses job for you :)

-Ian

Going to get this done over the weekend I hope (I'm also being shown how to replace a head gasket on my orion runabout - doh! lol).

Quick question tho - how do I get to all the hoses I need to get to - I assume the intercooler is accessible by removing the airbox, or can I get to it from underneath? Where the flip are the other hoses? :D

My car is completely stock BTW.

Thanks in advance (again!), you chaps rule! :thumbs:

(Thanks Martin, me too!! ;) )

No dude, haven't done anything to it yet.

I plan to check the hoses are all where they should be (I'm pretty sure I've popped/split one), and not drive it at all until I can get it to CW for a full checkover and full service, as originally planned.

Winter is pretty much here already (at least that's what I'm telling myself ;) )so I wasn't planning on driving it much at this time of year anyway.

The smoke has only happened a 3~4 times, and always been when I put my foot to the floor.

Right, the weekend dissapeared changing the head gasket on my 2nd car, although I did check out all the hoses that you can get to from the engine bay and they'll all like new now - they were just dirty before but now they're all clean shiny (and flexible and feel like they're welded in place!). :)

So... how do I get to the intercooler itself, is it from underneath by removing the engine undertray? Or am I on a wild good chase?

Fixing this lack/reduced boost thing would be a good plan before I drive it all the way to CWs for a full service (nearly 100 miles at a guess) I think - even if I try to drive it off-boost? :|

TIA, Steve