The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Security System - suggestions?

ellis

Now I have my dream car I want to make sure she stays where she's meant to be! So, want to fit a top notch alarm/immobiliser with remote central locking and before I go down to my security place was wondering what you guys would recommend as a mutts nutts system. Price up to about £300 really.

Ta in advance!

Well, it depends....

I've fitted a top of the line clifford alarm from the US which isn't Cat certified, but it does exceed the standard, I have still left in the standard cat 1 system I previous had in which is controlled by my new system.

The Clifford Rs3.5 has remote paging, turbo timer, autostart, shock, door, hood, winter mode and whole host of other features...

The crazy thing is you can pick up the RS3.5 units for around 200 quid...

Gav

I just got a Toad alarm fitted, with optional tilt sensors so no one runs off with the wheels it cost £360.

its got remote locking, motion sensors, sensors on the doors, boot and bonnet. bump sensors.

Have heard the Clifford Concept alarms are the mutts nutts at moment though.

My advice, for what it's worth, is fit the most basic alarm that meets insurance needs. The more complex they are 9auto shut of windows, blah blah) the more dody wiring hacks into the cars looms, the more to go wrong, the more to rip out if the alarm unit itself plays up. I see more electronic troubles on MKIVs that are down to none factory alarms than anything else. 90% of the reloiability is in the installation, and installers are cost driven to rush things. Find a good installer in your area and don't hammer them on price. Ask for and check you get soldered and shrink wrapped joints, not twisted wires and insulation tape. i just ripped out 3 alarms from one MKIV, and the mess was terrifying, a real abortion. The loom was repaired, but a long tedious slog.

Cheers all - have a very good outfit locally and have opted for a Clifford G5 system - it'll take about 6 - 7 hours to fit apparently - shade under 400 notes fitted. Used these guys before for my old BM and they are good eggs, not fly-by-nights. (Oh, and Chris, I went for the UK TT in the end, sorry!!! I like the thought of a warm arse in winter and grandad cruise control!)

If yo go for Cliffords Blackjax make sure you remember to switch it off when you drive so your car doesn't stop in the White Rose Centre car park with the alarm blaring and headlights flashing just because you were eyeing up a lass and forgot to enter the key-code!

If yo go for Cliffords Blackjax make sure you remember to switch it off when you drive so your car doesn't stop in the White Rose Centre car park with the alarm blaring and headlights flashing just because you were eyeing up a lass and forgot to enter the key-code!

A more annoying, time consuming and God damned awful system I have yet to see, had a car in a year or two back with one of these AND some other alrm, drove me demented, I think it was Monkey Marks.... (Sorry Monkey, nice car, shame about the (many) alarms ;) Has anyone ever seen someone appoach a car with the alarm going in a public place and challenge the motives of the driver? A pure sop to the insurance companies.

Been there, done that, worn the red face!!!! Ended up getting my blackjax turned off in the end, great idea, pita if your taking your car in to a garage or forget to put the code in!!! Oh how embarassing to be in the city centre with your alarm bellowing 4 sirens in 1, indicators and brake lights flashing and everyone giving you the "what a muppet" look. :cry:

So what is the best and i mean best system to use in terms of a basic system that'll do the job? I was just thinking of a basic cat 1 system with remote locking and that's about it. Not arsed about the rest really!

Toad Ai606 without question.

Nothing fancy, very reliable. ;)