The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Double De-cat and sailed through MOT

garetheves

Well kind of anyway.... Managed to find a garage that (chooses words very carefully) are somewhat lenient when it comes to emissions. Was still panicing a bit while waiting for it to be done but when the guy brought it back he said the car was fine and sailed through. For those of you who understand the emissions readings he said the pass boundary is 0.3 and mine was 0.8. A fail at any other garage, yes, but he said considering the car it wasnt bad at all so i was well chuffed. Will definately be using them next year cos it save me the hastle of having to refit my cat pipe.

Ill not mention the name on here for obvious reasons but if anyone in the North West wants to give them a try, feel free to PM me and ill send you details.

It may be best from now on to try and keep 'friendly' garages quiet as you never know who is reading these messages. Good to see you got through.

A Supra can still fail with only the 2nd CAT in place, its sometimes a hit or miss situation... it would definitely pass with the 1st CAT in place. But before you go in for MOT make sure you've given you car plently time to warm up, and also run it on the best fuel you can buy to get a cleaner burn.

I have a mate with a scooby. he fitted a pipe along side his cat, then fitted flexipipes to the end. so MOT time comes, he moves the flexi's onto the cat, then moves them back onto the cat by-pass pipe.

anyone think that could be done on the supes?

why bother, its extra unwanted weight ;) especially when it only takes 30 minutes to fit the 2nd CAT, providing you have a 2 piece decat pipe setup. They only charged me 20 quid to swap it round.

If you buy my 2 piece decat pipes it only takes me 15 minutes to refit the 2nd cat. Either one of the two cats will enable an easy MOT emissions pass, but refitting the second cat is FAR quicker and easier than refitting the short, first cat. Only 4 bolts, all very easily accessible. Flange joints, too, no wrestling with seized slip joints and U clamps that have dented the pipes.

One trick which a friend of mine did....

He carried his cats in his car for the MOT, got to the MOT station and said to the tester, 'Here is £50 to fit the cats IF you want to change them for the MOT'...turned out the young mechanic thought it would be a better idea to stick it in his pocket and still pass the car...

Might work for some people *grin*