The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which wheels?

Rob Wilson

Are the offsets right? Do they have a 60.1 mm spigot hole in them, without resort to adaptors? Are the stud holes the correct depth for proper retention on the stock studs? Are they forged, like the stock rims? Are they at least no heavier, and very prefereably lighter, than the stock rims? Yes to all these questions? See if you can live with the looks of them. So sad to see so many Supras now totally ruined with comic book wheels of wrong diameter, offset, weight, material and mounting spigot diameters. 99% of wheel retailers have no idea what they are talking about, technically, and are a danger to the public, IMO. It's one area in the automotive world I really feel needs some proper legislation. These wheels may be fantastic, I have no idea, but be sure to ask the right questions to find out first.

Are the offsets right? Do they have a 60.1 mm spigot hole in them, without resort to adaptors? Are the stud holes the correct depth for proper retention on the stock studs? Are they forged, like the stock rims? Are they at least no heavier, and very prefereably lighter, than the stock rims? Yes to all these questions?

Chris, I'm looking around for a set of wheels to replace the 18' AVS (made by Yokohama) wheels that my car came with. Any recommendations for particular afermarket brands or specific wheel models that would be worth looking at for the Supra? I'm wanting 18's again, more interested in getting a good quality set of wheels, rather than going for bling.

Chris are the stock 16" wheels good to keep on?? im a bit sceptical about changing the wheels to atermarket ones as sometimes the geometry can knock out?? is it worth upgrading to 17 uk spec wheels??

The Stock 17's will clear the larger spec Supra brakes, the 16's will not. I'd definitely recommend fitting the larger spec brakes if you can afford them as they are far superior, in which case your best bet would be to pick up a cheap second hand set of stock 17's.

Nic: The only 18 inch rim I can say with total certainty will be a known good choice is the lexus OE rim. It's the right offset, front and rear, right hib fitting, forged and fairly light. Whether you like the looks is very subjective. I do, but looks would NEVER EVER sway me in such an important and far effecting choice as wheel fitment.

Mikey: The stock 16 rim is fine. Don't laugh, some of the very very nicest handling Supras i have ever set up have run 16 inch rims. If you are not running big brakes there is no reason whatsover to run anything bigger diameter. The Supra has quite good suspension kinematics (the way the suspension geometry changes with roll, pitch and yaw, and ride height) for its age. But it's still an early 90's set up, and never conceived to make a low profile, big diameter tyre work properly. I know have strong, and sometimes controversial, opinions on quite a few automotive matters, but I DO know what I am on about in this sphere!

Mikey: The stock 16 rim is fine. Don't laugh, some of the very very nicest handling Supras i have ever set up have run 16 inch rims. If you are not running big brakes there is no reason whatsover to run anything bigger diameter. The Supra has quite good suspension kinematics (the way the suspension geometry changes with roll, pitch and yaw, and ride height) for its age. But it's still an early 90's set up, and never conceived to make a low profile, big diameter tyre work properly. I know have strong, and sometimes controversial, opinions on quite a few automotive matters, but I DO know what I am on about in this sphere!

Yeah thought so ive had so many people comment on the tiny 16" wheels but I always say im not wiling to change and comprimise the handeling ability.......I am tempted to upgrade to UK spec wheels?? Will this be a down grade in terms or reliability and ride quality??

Cheers Chris

Mikey

Nic: The only 18 inch rim I can say with total certainty will be a known good choice is the lexus OE rim. It's the right offset, front and rear, right hib fitting, forged and fairly light. Whether you like the looks is very subjective. I do, but looks would NEVER EVER sway me in such an important and far effecting choice as wheel fitment.

Thanks Chris, do you happen to know the critical dimensions of the stock 17's or Lexus wheels (offset, hub fit etc)? I do like the look of the lexus/TTE wheels, however they are made in Europe I understand, so may not be the most cost effective option for me here.

Aren't you being a bit paranoid, Chris? I understand the logic and yes wheels are clearly a VERY important part of a car - but saying that fitting wrong offset wheels is dangerous (or at least implying it) is a bit OTT isn't it? They're not going to fall off if there's no spigot rings to match the hub size! (they may shag your shocks in no time though).

Most people buy wheels for the 'bling' factor, and the minor disadvantages of handling and suspension geometry and tramlining is a small price to pay! I wouldn't wear my shoes on a track anyway I'd rather take some stockers on just in case I wreck them!