The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1994 MR2 - Clutch question

C33JAY

:help: Just got home from work and had a chance to test drive my boys MR2 (Recent Purchase) because he was concerned about the clutch and after the Test drive confirmed its on its way out !! :help:

Can anyone tel me whether this is a DIY job on a drive way or will I have to take it to a local garage to get it done and if the latter what is it likley to cost me ?? :help:

Thanks in advance a bit pissed off Dad who brought the MR2 about 2 weeks & 400 miles ago.

Thanks again for any info CJ :help:

It's a crapper of a job :(

To do it properly you need to take the driveshafts out and drop the engine off a couple of mounts to get decent access, even then it's not nice. Some places don't take the driveshafts out which tends to result in knackered seals and leaks - you save on labour initially but pay it back later on.

Some places seem cheap for the clutch, these are usually garages that haven't done one before :) Budget around £300 > £500 depending on who does it, the hourly rates and the clutch used. A couple of people can do the job in a day though.

"Mr Clutch" always used to be cheap but they always seem to screw the driveshaft oilseals too so they obviously go for the quick method.

Lads Thankyou ... Thankyou as always .... I can at least start to look out for the best place / best price to get the job done and even if it cost more will go for someone who will do it properly 1st time .... no short cuts for me.

My Local Mr T is good with my Sup so will give him a bell tomorrow to se what price he comes up with.

Thanks again Lads appreciate the Info :thanks: :thanks:

PS My boy has signed up on the MR2 forum suggested Ta :clap:

CJ