The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Confused Potential Buyer

Guest adamt

Hi,

I'm 20 years old and looking to buy a Supra.

After searching these forums I've discovered its easier for me to insure a UK TT (been quoted approx £900 FC).

I'm really struggling to find UK cars for sale for under 10K.

I beleive the UK one's are RZ and GZ?

Does anyone know of any companies that will insure me on a jap import as these are most commonly available?

What are the differences betweek the UK and Jap TTs?

Any help or advice welcome!

Thanks

Hi mate - that thread should answer your queries but the UK TT was available as a single model only and had no designation other than being a UK TT. The SZ, SZ-R, RZ, RZ-S, GZ, VVTI and Aerotop (SZ and GZ) are all JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) cars (ie. imports if here in the UK). Insurance is usually the only practical reason to choose a UK TT over a J-Spec TT as both offer unrivalled power and driving fun.

UK cars are available under 10K - they take some finding as only 600 or so were sold and were only available from 1993 to 1996.

Happy hunting and be patient if you want a good car - its better financial sense in the long run!

Thanks for the replies and PM's guys.

It seems that I'm not likely to find a UK model for the budget I had in mind, (import money).

Does anyone know where I can insure a N/A jap import?

As I'm pretty sure I won't be able to insure a J-Spec TT.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies and PM's guys.

It seems that I'm not likely to find a UK model for the budget I had in mind, (import money).

Does anyone know where I can insure a N/A jap import?

As I'm pretty sure I won't be able to insure a J-Spec TT.

Thanks

What is your budget? There's lots of UK car's gone for less than £10k recently. Most were auto and higher milage but don't see why that should be a problem.

Most people find that there is no difference between insuring an Import NA and an import TT.

BTW: You could get a 98 VVTI 6 speed for £10k ;)

Problem I've got is I sold my IS200, bought a bike and now I'm just looking for a car for a bit of fun.

Really don't wana rack up loads of debt.

Really just after something fast, cheap and jap for the weekend.

doesnt look like I'm gonna be able to insure an import!

Ello fella. Whereabouts in bournemouth are you I'm in parkstone? Theres a massive amount of us from this club in the area. If its a manual you want then yea you'll have yourself a bit of a search to find one. If its just a weekend car for a bit of fun you can't go wrong with an N/A really (there's one in the southern autotrader for £2.5k ono). Another car I would seriously consider if I was you is the 200SX s14. Lower top end but fantastic rear wheel drive fun with power somewhere between the N/A supe and the TT.

If you want someone to come along and look at a car in the area with you gimme a buzz

I live in Ferndown.

Yeh, I think there are a fair few Supra owners round here.

I'd be ok with an Auto, just can't seem to get any quotes on an import because of my age.

I don't really wana spend more than 1k on insurance, other car I was thinking of is an MR2, but they all seem to be really high mileage.

yep, you need to be 21 in most cases, otherwise insurance wont touch you,

most of the speacilist companies you have to be 25,

21, you can get insured with admiral, elephant, bell direct but they dont insure mods like for like, and can only insure 6 mods,

..... and they take arms/legs as down payment :eek:

How are you guys getting insurance on one of these so cheap?

I was struggling to get a quote I could afford for my Calibra, let alone a 3.0 TT!

Im 20, with 1 years no claims.