The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what is a safc2 and what does it do

mikeyh

nicked from another website:

The SUPER AFC II is a fuel adjustment controller in which the airflow sensor signal or the pressure sensor signal can be modified in a 12 point RPM range by 1% increments to increase/decrease fuel in a range of +50% to ?50%. The RPM to be corrected can be optionally set in 200 RPM increments, and corrections can be made according to throttle opening amounts. In a turbo equipped vehicle with a hot wire type airflow meter, this controller provides a preventive function for engine stall due to blow-back during throttle return. The controller, which includes a knocking meter, allows the monitoring of knock levels check keeping the engine under its optimum condition at all times. (Vehicle must have a factory knock sensor). A thin case of 52 mm(L) x 126 mm(W) x 18 mm (D) (Minimum) has been achieved by optimization of the circuit board and case design. The product can be easily installed on the steering column or dash board. Since there is no separate unit besides the main unit, it is not necessary to secure a place for installing any separate unit. Using a 4-direction switch with a center pushbutton and a rotary switch gets rid of the button to- button distance and permits quick operations, thereby providing efficient operation of the unit.

And you should only ever take airflow signal out with it. If you have to add it, i.e. move the stock ECU further 'up' the fuelling map to deliver more fuel than it would if left alone, that means your injectors are too small for the job.

The SAFCII hasn't got a lot of resolution or features for the price though. What's the going rate for one of these again?

-Ian

so they are allright if the fuel only has to be adjusted slightly. :(

its just that i want to go single over the winter planning to run 650cc injectors and t61 budget single kit from vortex wondering if is is worth running the safc2 or save more money and go for the emanage ultimate its just moneys tight at the mo want to do it as cheap as possible but properly if that makes sense :violin:

thanks

650's are do-able with the SAFC, BUT and this is a BIG BUT for roughly the same amount of money you can get a blue emanage without the other harness leads (which you can buy later).

The emanage is leaps and bounds above the SAFC, does the same thing on the airflow side, but has a higher resolution...

Gav

without wishing to re-open old wounds here, if going the e-manage route be aware you will pay slightly more than the safc for the unit but a s**t load more for the mapping, you will get a better end result but it will cost more (like everything in life i guess) just something to think about

Not really, you can map the emanage on your own as successfully as the safc2, you don't have to touch the injector or ignition.

The airflow table is probably slightly easier to understand in the emanage as the display on the SAFC2 isn't great.

Just saying from someone who has done both..

Gav

Not really, you can map the emanage on your own as successfully as the safc2, you don't have to touch the injector or ignition.

The airflow table is probably slightly easier to understand in the emanage as the display on the SAFC2 isn't great.

Just saying from someone who has done both..

Gav

Gav respect for mapping the e-manage but you've got to be aware a lot of ppl on here would not want to try to map anything nor have the ability or patience either, plus the extra cost of the wideband, for the average owner on this board i dont think mapping an e-manage (or an safc) is a diy job, just trying to give the guy a balanced view of what to expect :thumbs:

i dont think mapping an e-manage (or an safc) is a diy job

Ah, sorry my mistake, I took it to mean that the SAFC would be easier to tune as a DIY, rather than both....

Yeah, fair point...I can't agree more with the point that to either with any chance of success you do need a wideband, if you don't have one or access to one...DON'T TRY

If you are simply changing injectors, then the emanage is probably the easiest of the lot, since you can simply insert the size of new injectors vs the old ones, and be fairly confident, you MIGHT even get away with not having an AFR for that...

Gav

It depends what spec you've got and what you want to achieve.

I've got it on a UKSpec to tailor the fuelling at higher revs/loads and it does the job fine.

No need for extra resolution, no problem for me with the inadvertent shift of the ignition maps as load appears lower to the ECU (it's actually a welcome side-effect in my setup)

If I were to move to a Single, I wouldn't even consider something as basic as the SAFCII though. It's the wrong tool for that job.