The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY Window tint

mr keef

From what I've heard, doing the side windows isn't too hard if you take your time, as the glass is quite flat (or at least is only curved in one plane).

The tailgate is curved in both planes so I believe it's a tricky job. When I got my windows tinted, the guy said that the side windows only took him a few minutes, but the tailgate took a lot longer. I think they have to heat the film or something to stretch it as its being put on.

The stuff the professionals use is much more expensive than what we can buy and is much better quality hence why they charge so much.

The stuff we can buy publically from the likes of halfords etc is cheap and it creases easily, you can do a good job from this but it is difficult and as pointed out there is a knack to it, you do need to heat it up and apply it with a hair dryer as thats the easyiest way

Friend of mine runs his own business in Kirkcaldy and he reckoned the tailgate on the Supra was one of the largest areas of glass he'd even tinted.

He gets his tint imported from the states as it's better quality but IMO after seeing a proffesional do it, I'd leave it to someone that knows what they are doing. :scare:

Prob work out cheaper in the long run as well!

hey nice one, thats a real bargian! When it comes to the law, whats the rules with tinting? I understand the windscreen is a no-go obviously, what about the sides and rear?

With my de-cat my car is already well loud, I don't want more reason to get stopped by the police lol

As of january the 1st 2004 the laws concerning window tint level's were up dated.

Front windshields have to allow 75% light through them and must not be tinted lower than the as1 line on the windscreen (i.e 6 inches from the top)

Front side windows must allow 70% light through them. basically this means if you have glass that is factory tinted then you are road legal! if you put ANY tint on those windows,the tint combined with the tint already in the glass will make your front windows illegal.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ROAD LEGAL FRONT WINDOW TINT!

Some people still insist on getting their front side windows tinted,nowadays most tinters will refuse to do this but some still do, they recommend 50% tint as it's light and police dont seem to mind but it is still over the legal limit.

If you get 50%/35% light/medium tint applied to the front side windows and the police catch you ,you will be asked to remove it within 10 day's and to produce your car at the nearest vosa inspection office for them to agree the tint has been removed. NO FINE,NO POINT'S

If you have 20%/dark tint or darker (i.e 5% limo) on the front side window's then you could be fined or you could have your car impounded or if your lucky you will be given the chance to remove the tint there and then or get your car towed home. POSSIBLE FINE AND POINTS.

All rear window's are exempt from the new tint law's, so basically every window behind the driver,rear door's,quarter's and the rear window can be tinted as dark as you want!

Tinted window's are not going to be inforced with the mot test!

If you get your window's tinted then by law you are required to notify your insurance as this is considered a modification.

This was a write up my mate did for the mr2 club.