The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey guys, please put this to rest for me...

Guest begone

How much boost can the JDM Turbos reliable hold? (PSI/BAR)

and

How much HP can the JDM with Intake, 3" DP, Super Dragger Catback with Restrictor Plate be putting to the wheels?

Thanks.

How much boost can the JDM Turbos reliable hold? (PSI/BAR)

Depends how reliable you mean, 1.2bar is generally regarded as a *safe* limit but running them at this boost can decrease the life expectancy of the turbos. I run mine at 1.25-1.3bar but have supporting mods (FMIC, fueling, emanage, etc.)

How much HP can the JDM with Intake, 3" DP, Super Dragger Catback with Restrictor Plate be putting to the wheels?

At 1.2bar you'll be looking at around 365hp-385hp (UK hp, not US hp) at the crank.

OK let me say a word or two. My decent power run achieved 395 bhp at the hubs on stock tubbies on stock injectors and stock fuel control @ 1.14 bar of boost. Each and every run above 1.14 saw the power reduce. So I would deduce from that that my particular turbo's efficiency peaks high point was about 1.14 bar or around there.

Individual pieces of equipment will react differently to certain tuning parameters but I would say aim for about 1.15 bar on stock tubbies.

A super drager and decat should push you the 1.2 bar with the chris wilson 1.2 bar restrictor no worries but its the inlet side you should think about if you do go that way.

If your inlet cooling IE SMIC is a bit tired you are setting yourself up for a disaster. I'd advise a new uprated SMIC or an FMIC both of which have their own merits.

I would also reccomend water injection as I'm sure that is what has held my engine together despite repeated attempts to blow it up.