The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damn these tyres go quick!

ivan

When I bought the Supe in June the rears were as new. Checked today and one of them was down to about 1mm, and the other not much better. :eek:

So I've just put 2 new Toyo Proxes T1-S on (for £260 all up) as the last thing I want is a blowout or to be pulled by the German fuzz... :scare:

The Toyo Proxes T1-S and replacement model T1-R are very well regarded in the sxoc BTW. A number of sxoc members have also complained of F1s delaminating and of the tread falling to pieces... Having driven an MR2 Turbo with T1-S on and having driven my own MR2 with F1's on, I'd say the performance of both was very similar. The T1-S are known for being less durable than F1s but the T1-R is supposed to redress that balance.

HTH,

Brian.

When I bought the Supe in June the rears were as new. Checked today and one of them was down to about 1mm, and the other not much better. :eek:

So I've just put 2 new Toyo Proxes T1-S on (for £260 all up) as the last thing I want is a blowout or to be pulled by the German fuzz... :scare:

The tyre's were F1's GDS3 unless you've had 2 set's :scare: I did run toyo's before and found the grip good but they did wear out quickly. Think the rear were new at the end of last year so it's not so bad. they were just over £100 each with VAT.

As Tim said, there were F1's on there before. (No Tim - I haven't gone through 2 sets :) ) And the alignment is good according to the printout Tim gave me.

I've used Toyos for the last 2 years or so with no slip problems, and I find the road noise is quite a bit less than most others.

Tried various others like Goodrich, Goodyear, Avon (Uggh!) but keep coming back to good old Proxes. Haven't tried the T1-Rs yet but will do next time.

Guess I'm just going to have to stop switching Trac off when I pull away from junctions... ;)

alignment is only an issue if the tyres are wearing unevenly. If they are wearing all over like it sounds like Ivans are then thats just general tyre abuse :) Mr Lance W's settings are great for stock suspension and track use but on mine with trd anti roll bars 18" wheels eibach/billie combination the fronts were wearing the inner edge too much. Handling was incredible though. If its just your back tyres wearing out then a rough stab in the dark would be that your using that right foot in a big way :)

PS sorry about having a go at toyo's I'd had a sherbert or 2