The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steamy windows! Help.

RedM

What is the best heater/air-con setting to stop the windows steaming up when it's raining?

We got into the car slightly damp this evening and the car seemed a little fogged up after a minute or so. It then cleared but at a set of lights the windows just misted up almost instantly.

Had to wipe the screen just to see out, windows open and had the fan on maximum.

Is it a problem with the Supra that heat from the engine bay entering the cabin can cause the process that makes the windows mist or is my car suffering from something?

Yeah - Exactly

Dont forget Re-circulated air just spreads around the "already breathed in and out 20 times" air and makes misting and fogging 10 times worse..

Cant beat fresh air in, on screen, (Or A/C for serious de-misting!!!)

(When I start my car - everytime without fail - the temp is set on minimum...and the setting defaults on recirculated air...Is this right???? If I "up" the temp a bit, it switched to fresh but as soon as I go back down to min - it switches back to Recirc????? Normal or just me??)

The pessimist in me thinks you might have a leaking heater matrix.... Best way to demist is full heat with air con ON. People in the UK make the mistake of thinking air con = cold air only. Not so at all.

Thats why the air con comes on when you press the windscreen demist buton.....I think it does anyway!

When I start my car - everytime without fail - the temp is set on minimum...and the setting defaults on recirculated air...Is this right???? If I "up" the temp a bit, it switched to fresh but as soon as I go back down to min - it switches back to Recirc????? Normal or just me??
I get exactly the same - so it looks like a standard thing. :(

I just press the button to put it back to fresh.

Thats why the air con comes on when you press the windscreen demist buton.....I think it does anyway!

Yup, just checked now and the aircon does come on automatically.

The first time I tried it, the fan came on full blast! The last time the fan was used it was on low. I then put the fan low and tried it again and air con came on with low fan!

Maybe theres something clever going on!!!

lol

:)

Chris is DEAD RIGHT (as bloody normal ! ! !)

Air Con DE-HUMIDIFIES.

AND can be used COLD or HOT.

SOOO, if it's raining TOO much, or, TOO many peeps in the car...

AIR-CON ON... HOT SETTING (or cold, doesn't really matter)

.... RE-CIRC (otherwise you're just dragging

MORE moisture in from outside ! !)

Worth remembering, because if you occasionally do this in the WINTER

it avoids the Air-Con seals drying-up and cracking (and LEAKING !)

The major cause of gas loss is lack of use during the winter months.

FatS.

AIR-CON ON... HOT SETTING (or cold, doesn't really matter)

.... RE-CIRC (otherwise you're just dragging

MORE moisture in from outside ! !)

FatS.

I have to disagree....If its misting inside...the last thing you should do is recirc the air!!! Your recirculating "breathed" air - which has far more moisture than outside .....!!

Recirced air is really only for driving through dust and bad fumes etc.....

But it becomes de-humidified by the air con.

The Supra MKIV has climate control not air con - it's not fancy climate control like touch screen or anything but it will decide for you what you need to do, hence when you tell it to demist the screen it sometimes puts the fans on full. If you have the temp set to a certain point and push auto it may set the fans on full as well, they will slow down when the temperature in the cabin arrives at that point.

Not sure about whether to recirc or not I haven't noticed any difference, with air con on full heat pointing at the windscreen it takes about 3 seconds to clear the whole thing - might only take 2.5 seconds on recirc but I've never tried. :p