The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Daft question about jacking the care up correctly

chilli

Ok, I've never had a problem doing this before, so please don't flame me :p

Car = extremely low, no way my trolley jack can go under the front. Can probably just squeeze round the sides (if I'm lucky lol!)

What to do? Is it safe to use a trolley jack on the sides (near the standard jacking points I guess) with a piece of wood to spread the load, or do I risk bending something like the floorpan. Instead, am I best using the bog standard jack to raise the car so I can get the trolley jack under the suspension /subframe?

any advice before I damage something, appologies for the daft question but I had to ask...

It works ok? I've never used it before, was put off by past experiences with iffy scissor jacks lol, maybe I'll try that then :)

Just need to put some graft in man!

The standard jack will go as low as you can get.

Another alternative - slowly drive onto wedge shape, thick wooden boards. You may be able to get your trolley jack under.

Drive the front wheels onto bricks or a nice long piece of wood.

Bricks work ok for me as long as you're careful they don't flick up.

This is definitely the easiest way to get the trolley jack under, if you turn the bricks side ways they won't flip up.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

I might see if it will drive onto some wood (or a brick) and see if that enables me to get the jack under to the subframe or somewhere suitable - although with the on/off clutch I can see this being fun :o - Failing that I'll use the standard Toyota jack to get it started then.

I love having a low car, but it sure can be a pain in the ass sometimes!