The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap lpg conversions????????

neilg

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of anywhere where i can get a cheap LPG conversion done ( Dont worry its not for the supra :tongue: )

Im looking for a new work car and have been looking at vauxhall omega estates as there massive!! I was planning on buying a 2.5 td but the Vauxhall people seem to think there bad news. Therefore i wa going to look into buying a V6 and lpg convering it??????

Has anybody else got any ideas or views? Anyone had experience with LPG? I would want it doing as cheap as possible as its for work.

:shrug:

Guest saahild

LPG has as much power as petrol engine if not more. is much more economical and fuel efficent and is very reliable even on my cousins OLD OLD OLD suzuki esteem

LPG has as much power as petrol engine if not more. is much more economical and fuel efficent and is very reliable even on my cousins OLD OLD OLD suzuki esteem

I sometimes borrow a factory converted Astra dualfuel and while performance isn't too bad on LPG it is noticably worse than petrol, you also use more LPG than unleaded but the cost offsets this. You burn more litres of gas than you would fuel but the fact it's only 31.9 a litre means you smile :)

Anyone remember when diesel was the cheaper alternative? As soon as there were enough users the prices went up and up and now look. More expensive than regular in most places.

It'll be the same for LPG or whatever the next bright idea is. Reel em in and then put the prices up.

Bollocks to all the penny-pinching tree-huggers. I'm gonna put a whole tank of Optitax in tomorrow and while I'm doing it I'm gonna wave my wad around just like Loadsamoney back in the day.

I stopped worrying about pump prices ages ago. I'm a petrolhead, I'm gonna piss away most of my hard earned at the pumps, but I enjoy what I get out the other end. I do think pump prices are extortionate, especially when you see the amount that is tax. But me complaining about the price of petrol is kinda like Lisa Riley complaining about the price of burgers :D

I went out to buy a 'to and from work' car ie diesel or petrol sipper, and I came home with a 4.4 litre V8 :rolleyes: :p

So I tend not to think about the pump prices TOO much ;)

I think im going to buy a kit. Then just pay a mate to fit it. I can get a 6 cylinder kit for about a grand. Came very close to buying a omega yesterday with the kit already on (engine work needed) £495 ono. was going to buy it take the lpg off it and get rid of the car again. Had already sold though :(

i've got a 3 l v6 estate in the garden (head gasket went on it then it bent a valve as I put cheapo hyd tappets in it) I wouldn't get an auto again as that box is simply awfull. I now have a 2.5 manual estate which I prefer. the 3 litre motor has got as much grunt as an N/A supe has and surprises the hell out of a lot of people some supe drivers included when I took it to JAE last year.

The elite versions are incredible on a specs basis, just watch the cooling fans with aircon on in static traffic on the hottest day of the year as the fuse going was what made mine overheat which cooked the head gasket.

Its a elite im after really, at least a cdx. I like the digi climate control and other goodies. Why do you dislike the auto box? I used to have a cav 2.5 v6 auto and that wasnt the best, quite a rough change especially when cold. You want to get rid of the buggered one?

the heads are gone and the leather is gone out of it already. I'm basically keeping it as spares really. Only way that car is getting anywhere is on the back of a pickup grabber truck to the scrappy. The auto box on the omega I had was pants. You can't hold the thing in a gear like the supes for starters. On takeoff it soaks the power up for about 2 seconds before it unleashes it, one mutha of a launch but you have to stick your foot down 2 seconds before you want to move which is a real pita in town driving. I think the digi climate is only on the newer 3.2 mivec versions as mine was analogue. If you do need any spares and I have them gimme a mail and i'll sort ya out.

Try this link and have a look at the pictures at the bottom. Thats the climate controls im after. Came in elites and most cdxs through all ages.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-CDX-V6-SILVER_W0QQitemZ4573377507QQcategoryZ9858QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know someone that would have put a new engine in the omega thats the only reason i asked. Thanks for the offer on parsts by the way ill bare that in mind.

Can i ask you realistically what kind of mpg you get out of it????

• 2 weeks later...

I concur the receipts that came with my 3.0 L elite would make you wince. Previous owners spent nearly double the original ticket price on it in repairs in its life. I spent over a grand on getting the head gasket done only for a valve to immediately bend which is why I scrapped the pile of cack. The 2.5 has so far been ok.