The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car finally sorted, thanks to Thor

Tannhauser

As a few of you know, the single turbo route has been a bit of a rocky one for me. Dude did the conversion about a year ago and I had an emanage fitted at the same time.

I think the emanage is a great piece of kit in the right hands, but those hands are, sadly, not mine. There was a horrible, mysterious misfire from day one. I'm not convinced that the emanage can,er, manage 850cc injectors with a relatively small (T61) turbo -it may be reaching the limits of it's adjustification powers. Even so, I've no doubt that emanage guru IanC could have sorted it for me in time. Unfortunately, he lives an intergalactic distance from me, so he never really got his hands on the car for long enough. He had a damned good go at it by email, but it's not a method to be recommended, especially when you have to to remote control a monkey (i.e. me) as well.

The car ran superbly as a relatively quick runaround, but wasn't what I'd expected from a single turbo. I decided to get a standalone and considered HKS F-Con, Link, Autronic and so on. I settled on the AEM and managed to find one at a good price second hand in the USA. Within one day of the seller sending it, DHL had lost it. They have been dull-witted and generally useless and I'm still waiting for my insurance money.

Thor supplied me with a new AEM, mapped it and I picked it up on Saturday. It drives like a completely different car! The acceleration feels shattering compared to pre-AEM and the misfire is completely gone.

The dyno figures weren't stunning - 452 hp at the hubs (448 ft/lbs torque) is less than many have achieved . Maybe my water injection, creaky old intercooler, or lack of cold air is costing me. However, if we estimate maybe 10% losses with my auto transmission, that's around 500ish at the crank- it feels like more than enough at the moment :). Once I get my scanner fixed, I'll post up the dyno plots.

So - many thanks to Pete and Lyndon at Thor for unleashing my inner beast.

And in Oscar winner's fashion, I'd also like to thank various persons for technical or moral support over the last year: Ian 'The Long Man of Norwich' Chisholm, TerryS, Matt Harwood, CJ, Jake and SimonB.

Regards

Cliff

Thank whatever deity you support for that. You've gone through quite a lot of heartache for this final result. Congrats though. I bet the feeling of elation to finally fix it was amazing though. Theres nothing quite like the satisfaction of beating a pesky missbehaving inanimate insolent machine
#

Hey, sorry I missed you off the list...how rude of me, after having your coil packs for so long.

I'm always cautious about saying 'the acceleration is amazing' - because there's always someone out there with a car that makes your own feel like a Fiat Uno. Having said that, there's a night and day difference now it's been Thor-ed. I was certainly cackling away on the motorway, as I casually mullered everything.

#

Hey, sorry I missed you off the list...how rude of me, after having your coil packs for so long.

I'm always cautious about saying 'the acceleration is amazing' - because there's always someone out there with a car that makes your own feel like a Fiat Uno. Having said that, there's a night and day difference now it's been Thor-ed. I was certainly cackling away on the motorway, as I casually mullered everything.

No worries fella I wasn't angling for a plug he he. Enjoy the power for as long as you can as you will soon get bored and want more lol. I am well and truly bored of the 395 I have at the hubs on my stock tubbies and I can't justify the cash I'd need to put down on an aftermarket fuel solution single turbo and bigger injectors. Get your intercooling sorted and that WI working optimum and I think you will see more power now.

Good to read that ... Mine is also at Thor being recovered at the moment after a long painfull period (nothing to do with Thor) think it's coming close to completion ....

bit woried about what ya said about the Emanage though as thats what I've got along with T61 and 850 injectors (eeep)

Good to read that ... Mine is also at Thor being recovered at the moment after a long painfull period (nothing to do with Thor) think it's coming close to completion ....

bit woried about what ya said about the Emanage though as thats what I've got along with T61 and 850 injectors (eeep)

Don't take it as Gospel. I'm not basing this on anything more than a suspicion and I'm certainly no expert. Don't forget IanC runs his car with hefty injectors and the emanage copes perfectly.

Don't take it as Gospel. I'm not basing this on anything more than a suspicion and I'm certainly no expert. Don't forget IanC runs his car with hefty injectors and the emanage copes perfectly.

Mate these motors are almost as individual in nature as we are. Different cars seem to react differently to the same combinations.

Paul

The original plan was for 650s, but there was a problem with getting them, and some 850s came up for sale second-hand in the meantime. I did figure it might future-proof me as well.

John

Nope, I'm still on the stock auto. I might look into it in the future, but for now the response seems good enough to me.

Gerry

Actually, I saw you a couple of days ago in Warminster, going the opposite way to me. Thanks for the invite.