The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrids advice needed

mikeyb10supra

I have just started thinking about this as my car is getting older and im adding more miles to it.....the inevitable is going to happen in the near future

Turbos = :bang:

Now I have tried to search on hybrids but its like searching for a neadle in a hay stack, I have considered a single but feel this will be out of my buget to do it all properly (fuelling/intercooler/brakes/) etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of having my stock J-specs machined and going down this route with the hybrids......are garrett or turbo technics good for this, or should I buy a set of hybrids whats the most reliable way to do this, becuase I dont want to skimp on reliability at all as it will still be used daily!!

I want to try and aim for between 400-450bhp ball park figure.....but as long as its over 400 im not worried really

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice re what additional mods I will need to do this ie mapping, fuelling etc etc you get the idea??

Any help greatly appreciated

Mikey :)

Yes - please call me though mate - too much to go into here

Think about what kind of driving you really want after - higher top end = lag

Paul

Im really after a set of hybrids good for short bursts say between say 40-120 dont want to skimp on reliability either and im not bothered about top end 140+.....I really just want a noticable improvement over stock set-up, making for a lively road car, but also capable of seeing off most cars.......sorry for the long list of criteria......when my J-s finally give in I will give you a buzz

Mikey

hi mate, also got miami-gt hybrids here. i asked for low lag, like yourself not interested in top end power just insane fun between 40-120!

They're great. Pull alot stronger through the entire range then my old j-specs.

Im runnning everything stock, just a full de-cat and fuel pump for piece of mind.

Got 400 at the fly at 1.1bar.

hi mate, also got miami-gt hybrids here. i asked for low lag, like yourself not interested in top end power just insane fun between 40-120!

They're great. Pull alot stronger through the entire range then my old j-specs.

Im runnning everything stock, just a full de-cat and fuel pump for piece of mind.

Got 400 at the fly at 1.1bar.

Hey Dude that sounds like what im after.......how does it go?? had any kills in it??

Mikey, if you are looking for 400-450hp I would personally stick with the stock J-spec turbos. Mine dyno'd at 430hp at 1.25bar on stock j turbos, click on the link below to see full list of supporting mods.

The stock turbos will give you better response low down compared to the hybrids, 430hp is about as far as the stock turbos will go I think though. With hybrids you should be able to reach 450+hp but you'll loose low down torque as they will be slower to spool.

If I was you, I would start by fitting the emanage now and get Ian C to map it for you. The stock injectors will be reaching their duty limit at 430hp, but you should be able to get it set up to safely run a little over 400hp okay just by fitting a new fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator. Then when you can upgrade to 550cc injectors.

Hey Dude that sounds like what im after.......how does it go?? had any kills in it??

it goes like stink, its taken all manner of M3s, porsches etc convincingly. Not come up against anything really fast though :cry:

If your ever down london ways your welcome to come round and we'll go for a thrash.

Nic's points are fair, it is possible to get over 400 with stock tubbies. The point of hybrids as i see it is to run the power more safely.

My stockers were on their way out, and i'm not interested in going single. So hybrids make sense, more durability then stock ones.

If he thinks his tubbys are on the way out, it's not wise to run 1.25bar on them

There is no way of knowing if your j turbos are on the way out (unless bearing/seal wear) there doesn't seem to be any consistant point where the j turbos suddenly go, it is really pot look, they could last another 40k miles they could let go tomorrow.

I've been running mine for the last 6 years at around 1.25bar (sometimes peaking at 1.35 bar) and touch wood mine are okay. Given the fact that there is really no way of knowing how long the turbos are going to last, you might as well fit the emanage first and get everything set up correctly to say run at 1.2 bar then go from there IMHO. If they go they go, provided you know this *could* be a possibility then fine, then again they may run for years like this :shrug:

Mikey, if you are looking for 400-450hp I would personally stick with the stock J-spec turbos. Mine dyno'd at 430hp at 1.25bar on stock j turbos, click on the link below to see full list of supporting mods.

The stock turbos will give you better response low down compared to the hybrids, 430hp is about as far as the stock turbos will go I think though. With hybrids you should be able to reach 450+hp but you'll loose low down torque as they will be slower to spool.

If I was you, I would start by fitting the emanage now and get Ian C to map it for you. The stock injectors will be reaching their duty limit at 430hp, but you should be able to get it set up to safely run a little over 400hp okay just by fitting a new fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator. Then when you can upgrade to 550cc injectors.

Thanks for the input nic, its just the reliability issue that concerns me, I know the Stock turbos can produce this power fairly easily, but the hybrids would produce more reliable power without the worry of the stress your putting the stock jobbies under if you know what I mean! im sure the stock turbos are good at there job, but in time they will give up fairly quickly depending on how you drive them and there condition! :)

it goes like stink, its taken all manner of M3s, porsches etc convincingly. Not come up against anything really fast though :cry:

If your ever down london ways your welcome to come round and we'll go for a thrash.

Nic's points are fair, it is possible to get over 400 with stock tubbies. The point of hybrids as i see it is to run the power more safely.

My stockers were on their way out, and i'm not interested in going single. So hybrids make sense, more durability then stock ones.

Yeah deffo matey sounds like a plan, im near london, where about are you, im in grays near lakeside shopping centre, if your up that way give me a shout and you can take me out for a thrash