The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new clutch???

DBR

when i have biting point on clutch there is a quiet rattling sound?..... could be coming from the gear stick it think?

when the clutch is pushed down, the rattling noise stops??

i know its a very brief description, bout does anyone know what this could be?

cheers :D

What clutch and flywheel are fitted? If it is an aftermarket lightened flywheel then these have a tendancy to rattle a bit at tickover.

Nic, its just the standard toyota clutch for the uk spec........

tbourner, do you know if it will cost much to get the release bearing fixed :scare:

Unfortunately yes. I just had mine done.

To get at the clutch you need to remove the gearbox so it's going to be at least £250 labour. When you get there there isn't much point in just replacing the release bearing and a new clutch is going to be around £300 or more (I got an RPS sport from Dusty for £410). You may also find your flywheel needs replacing as well and then the dilema is do you buy one first or wait till it's all apart to see if it needs doing (flywheel is about £300 I think). I took a chance and it wasn't too bad, but if it's rubbish you don't want to have to get the gearbox out again at a later date to do the fly!!

Then again I may be wrong and it may just be some grit on your pedal push-rod thingy that goes into the master cylinder!!!!

Get it looked at by someone who knows first.

Sounds like a problem i had a year ago, a rattling noise that deisappeared when the clutch pedal was dipped, it turned out to be my release bearing the release bearing by itself is 30.

As Tbourner says if you are going to the trouble of dropping the box you may as well replace other bits, what mileage is your car?

Here is a breakdown of what it cost before discounts.

clutch cover assy

clutch release bearing

clutch plate

total of £255.66 including vat

flywheel £280

£150 labour to fit the above

Ring CJ's contact he should be able to get a good discount on the prices i posted up.

Sounds like a problem i had a year ago, a rattling noise that deisappeared when the clutch pedal was dipped, it turned out to be my release bearing the release bearing by itself is 30.

As Tbourner says if you are going to the trouble of dropping the box you may as well replace other bits, what mileage is your car?

Here is a breakdown of what it cost before discounts.

clutch cover assy

clutch release bearing

clutch plate

total of £255.66 including vat

flywheel £280

£150 labour to fit the above

Ring CJ's contact he should be able to get a good discount on the prices i posted up.

its on 43,000 m8.......

went to 2 different local garage's today, an they said it sounds fine, maybe just needs some sort of lubrication..... or some barings may be warne........

they said not the release bearing cos the sound would be obvious, sounds more like a slight vibration of the gear stick apparantly?

does this sound right, i really dont wanna have to take it to toyta to get my pants pulled down!

+ noticed today it seems to be louder in reverse,

your thoughts would be appreciated