The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Optimum speed for mpg

kosmic

I've yet to find it mate.

cruising between 3K and 3.5K should not be far from the mark, but don't expect way over 23-25mpg.

I haven't seen better, and I'm still trying. Got a new oxygen sensor to fit, although the old one seems to be accurate enough (judging by the wideband figures)

Even with optimal tyre pressures etc, I've yet to better 25mpg under normal(ish) motorway driving (80-100 mostly) with a passenger.

Spirited driving is 18mpg mixed.

Others have seen 30mpg at times, at around 80mph, so it shouldn't be impossible.

I've yet to find it mate.

cruising between 3K and 3.5K should not be far from the mark, but don't expect way over 23-25mpg.

I haven't seen better, and I'm still trying. Got a new oxygen sensor to fit, although the old one seems to be accurate enough (judging by the wideband figures)

Even with optimal tyre pressures etc, I've yet to better 25mpg under normal(ish) motorway driving (80-100 mostly) with a passenger.

Spirited driving is 18mpg mixed.

Others have seen 30mpg at times, at around 80mph, so it shouldn't be impossible.

Thanks John. i ask because strangely enough i find i am getting better fuel consumption travelling at around 75-80 mph then at 65-70mph...strange.

I was going to say the question should have been 'optimum RPM for MPG', but then you don't have much control over RPM in an auto ;-) only joking

I find in my TT6-speed that cruising at 2.5K rpm in 6th is the most efficient. I can get upto 30-32 mpg on a motorway. That equates to something like 70mph.

When i bought my TT, the engine management light came on if held above

3,000 rpm for more than 8secs ! !

As it turned out it was the gearbox Speed Sensor and wouldn't have caused any MAJOR AGG

but, because of that i had to go all the way to Cornwall - bop around a bit (locally) and all way back keeping it under 3,000 all the time.

It returned 31mpg AVERAGE after i filled up at end of TO trip.

It returned 30mpg AVERAGE after poodle AND return trip.

ALMOST impossible to repeat once you have full use of second turbo, but,

proves you COULD achieve 30/32 IF you had need (?) to.

[ps. that was the LAST time i ever got THOSE figures.... best on a run

AFTER that was ~27....town after that always averaged ~16/18]

FatS.

..but then you don't have much control over RPM in an auto ;-) .

You haven't got full control, true.

But with the supra's box you can have some control while being in 'overdrive off' mode (forcing the revs to be higher at non-motorway speeds)

You can also have lots of control in 'manual' mode, but you're not gonna be using that when going for optimum mpg ;)

I find in my TT6-speed that cruising at 2.5K rpm in 6th is the most efficient. I can get upto 30-32 mpg on a motorway. .

Other things being equal, the auto will always return worse mpg figures, there are more losses in there by design.