The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HI, new with a couple of questions !

Guest TwisT

Hi, im new here. I am thinking of buying a supra, its a twin turbo jap auto 1995.

I never thought about buying an auto but this one does drive very well.

My questions are mainly to do with the gearboxs :- is there any performance difference between the auto and 6spd manual ? if so can you detail the differences (i.e 0-60, top speed, in gear acceleration etc)

I am guessing the manual will accellerate faster than the auto at any given speed due to having 6 and not 4 gears like the auto; so its easyer to keep the car 'on the boil' at any speed. am i right n saying this or are they both 'the same' ?

I cant understand why the auto only has 4 gears ? and the manual 6 ? !

After 120mph is the manual faster to reach the unrestricted 180mph ? due to having 2 gears in that range and not just one overdrive ?

Can you still do burnouts/drifting/power-sliding with an auto ? how easy is it to control with an auto?

Forgive me if they seem stupid or much repeated questions but i know nothing at all about automatics, and if there is very little or NO difference in performance between the two, id probably get the auto.

cheers,

andrew

Hiya m8, i just picked my auto tt up yestrerday, at 1st i wanted a manual, but i think i rather the auto now!

Not sure on 0-60 speed wich if faster suppose there is not much in it at all.

Yes u can still do burn outs, drifting etc in an auto when u take traction control off!

I do love the auto box!

:D gareth

a lot of questions there mate, welcome aboard, 0-60 times will all depend on the driver or should i say the driver of a manual car, the manual is quicker on paper but an auto is a piece of P**s to get consistant times out of, there is no difference in top end speed or the way the cars get there, the only place you will loose out is on a track or twistys where the extra gears give more flexibility, a BPU (exhaust and de-cat) auto soop is a devastatingly quick car and after going for a single turbo conversion (extra lag) i would say the stock set up (at BPU) is a very fast "street" set up which you would be hard pushed to better given the same money, go for it mate you wont regret it

:welcome: Andrew :thumbs:

You might want to read some of the posts in the FAQ section, these should answer most of your basic questions when buying a Supra, anything else you can't find ask away.

[thread=23259]THIS THREAD[/thread], [thread=41691]AND THIS THREAD[/thread] are worth reading.

Post details/photo of the car you're considering so we can give a view on it, value, etc.

Thanks for the info so far :thanks:

I think my main concern with the auto was it only has 4 gears compared with the manuals 6.

The car in question was recently on ebay, link is:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4571381855

ive heard supras are coming down in price at the moment, so how much do you think it is worth ? (price bracket, just average to good example)

i had a breif test and it seemed ok, the engine oil level was a bit low, 3 of the tyres are same make and 1 different [rear drivers side]. The cambelt needs doing (i have been told its £180 job, and i need to confirm this price with the garage), and a service.

As well as the above car, im also looking at:-

Jap 6-speed red supra for sale, 1994, 53,000 miles, full Veilside bodykit and veilside deep-dish 5 spokes, 400bhp (exhaust/induction boost increase) which will have cam belt and service done before being sold, but its up for £10,000.

what price do you think is reasonable for that?

what would be the lowest you will take for the aerotop ?

the only thing im still undecided is auto or manual.......

whats the spec on your toyota aristo, what engine is in there?

The aristo is a bit of an unknown at the moment. I know its got a cat out and a performance exhaust and an FMIC but the other mods I won't know about til i get the car really. Its the 2JZ-GTE lump in the aristo as opposed to the GS300's 2JZ-GE lump. Its going to have water injection and some 264 maybe 266 cams when I get round to it. If the aerotop is going as its sitting on my drive right now I want £14k for it or a near as damn it offer. I'm willing to drop the price if theres kit that people don't want. Stuff like the wheels and interior for example. If you are genuinely interested then call me on 07740 647136 and we can take it from there.

As regards to the great manual/auto debate I've allready had my say on that subject. My previous auto N/A managed perfectly well around silverstone with a manual TT supe left firmly in my wake and I finally managed to pass an MRs with a lot of tweeks after doggedly sticking to him for 4 laps. Last weekend my autoboxed TT did a level start with an EVO7 tuned to 350BHP and then just proceeded to muller him from there. First run he got a better start than me but I reeled him in and whipped him so bad that I gave it up as won by 130 mph which upset him a bit. Then when I launched as well as he did and just kept going to 150 he left :)

Can you still do burnouts/drifting/power-sliding with an auto ? how easy is it to control with an auto?

I've done drifts/powersliding at brunters in my auto, seemed ok to control, but then I'm used to powersliding an MR2T, a manual should and probably would be easier to slide though.

with ref to scarface & dangerousbrain, i could be interested in either of your cars, just give me a few more days to make up my mind......

I was going to go for either, RX7, supra TT or r32 GTR. I think ive crossed off the rx7 for now due to the 'always at the back of your mind will it blow' reason and the fact it drinks more fuel than supras !