The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carpet dying - progress pic

Aerotop Dave

Not really - only about 5-6 mins of spraying there. Washing the carpet took longer. Yep, it's the right hand side. Attached another pic using flash - a bit more obvious. You can see how the left hand side is uneven in colour, with lots of dirt and crap even after washing. The right hand side now is much more even in colour. The extreme left is the worst, including a frayed bit that's probably going to look crap even when I'm finished. Never mind, it's down beside the drivers seat so not immediately obvious.

Stuff I'm using is this:

https://www.usautomotive.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=59

Dead easy to use, it's just like a spray can. Absolutedly hongs though, I used it in the garage but I think I'll do the rest outside.

CIMG0523.JPG

Tricky to say really. One can did one half, so I'm planning to use two more cans - one to do the other side and a final coat to even out any patchy bits. Not sure on black though as it will show up more where you've missed bits. People on Supraforums were using 6 cans of the stuff to go from tan to black, so I'm assuming the black stuff either doesn't work as well or you simply need more for complete coverage. The 3 cans that I ordered should be arriving today, so I should be complete soon.

Good job on the step by step guide - I only remembered this when I got my camera out to take the half way through shot! :)

Edit: something I meant to say earlier. Originally I also found these carpets for sale in the US:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=41664&page=1&pp=10&highlight=carpet

Now in that thread you can see a pic of what I assume is a UK carpet, but from the thread we're in here you can see that mine looks a little different with no heel pad for a start, and the drivers section appears to be slightly longer (although that may just be more to do with the angle of the shot). However, I don't think there's really any issue with the whole left hand drive carpet thing as the two sides are essentially the same, and if you're going to put mats down anyway (and with a brand new carpet this might be a good idea) then you almost definitely won't see any differences. The only slight changes may be right up in the footwell at the very top where you're never going to see them.

So while this spraying lark is one option having now seen my carpet out of the car I think those US LHD ones might do just a good a job. The only question mark (as I raised in the other thread) is around the quality since they don't appear to have any backing, but some simple carpet underlay would sort that out. It's still a waaaay cheaper method of getting a brand new carpet than buying from Toyota...

Yeha i have taken pictures, from start, to taking out the seats, center consol and the whole carpet, so once i spray it and take pics and put it back, then i can do a post with trp by step and hope people find it usefull.

I would have thought black would have taken less cans as its so dark onto a light carpet (mines the same as yours)

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who has grubby carpets and just want to clean them up I recently bought a twofold cleaner and teflon spray from B&Q. (impulse buy)

I could not believe how well this worked!! Foam cleaner really does get all the dirt out of the carpet and brings up the colour. You then let it dry and coat it with a teflon spray to seal it and keep it looking good.

The whole kit was about £7.00 and is just enough to do the cars interior. Well worth it!!

Excellent. I'm all done now and will be putting it back in the car on Sunday. I even had a crack at fixing the frayed bit - I just cut it out and cut a replacement section out from under the seat (about 3 inches square). You can see the join but it's not immediately obvious (it's down beside the seat) and it looks 100 times better than the bare bit did.

For reference I used 2-and-a-bit cans. The second can seemed to empty quicker and *just* about did the job but I used a third can to make sure. For anyone doing the same I would recommend 3 cans to be sure of coverage (spraying rates on cans seems to vary widely as I also found out when spraying my dash). The carpet is crustier after spraying - I need to hoover mine to get rid of any flakey bits (although to be honest I don't get any dust or bits when I run my hand across it) and I suspect this will free things up a bit, but it's noticeably 'stiffer' than stock. It's not uncomfortably so, it just feels like a rough carpet, and besides who ever runs their hand over their car carpet anyway?

Overall it's a dead simple mod - about £25 for three cans, 30 mins to get the carpet out, give it a damn good wash with Aerial liquid and a stiff brush, good rinse to get all the soap out, leave on the washing line to dry (24hrs at least), 10 mins spraying, leave for 24hrs to dry, hoover then back in the car. Job done :thumbs:

For your guide you might want to mention that the dye really does absolutedly hong and spraying outside or in a very well ventilated place is strongly recommended. Also when you take the carpet out watch out for any of the tar-like stuff on the underside. I dunno what it is (glue to keep it in place maybe...?) but I got some on my tiled kitchen floor and it took loads of scrubbing to get it off. Nasty stuff whatever it is.