The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Swapping engines....

how_supra

Since I have broken my engine.....

Does anyone know if an EVO engine would be "good" in an FTO?

Obviously I need to get hold of a Mitsu FTO engine, which are probably not the easiest to find, I'm thinking that an EVO engine would be easier to find.....plus if I'm swapping the engine, I may as well do it with style..

:thanks:

***edited to add****

if anyone can get hold of an FTO engine let me know I will be eternally your friend

So in other words, "it doesnt go anymore when you press the "go" pedal"? :D

hope it's sorted soon, you had anyone have a look at it yet?

it doesn't go very far no. :D

Yes the RAC man came round, and then I rang a local reliable garage and the RAC man subsequently spoke to him. I then had it towed to his garage where I suspect it will sit for a good month or so. Of course until I've had it all confirmed, I'm just going with the worse case scenario.

As for sorting it out, it will all be fine. Feeling relatively philosophical about it all as I can't change what's happened, just have to get on with it.

:zen:

I can't belive how well Sabrina has handled this. I would have be mad and in tears. Well done babe :clap: I just hope she's in the same mood when she see's the bill :(

The plus side is that if she can get the money and the right parts we'd like to make it a 400bhp FTO monster. :D Possibly along the same lines as the bloke in the Aug edition of Banzai.

Cheers everyone, I think the truth is I am actually in denial..............:D

No I actually have several options open to me, and whilst its not ideal and I would rather not have this issue, these options are all I have.....and every cloud has a silver lining...............

1)I can spend loads on making my car into a 400 bhp monster. Cool idea and whilst very tempting, its probably not for me, and I might as well buy a supra [cue Kosmic.......:D]

2)I could sell the car as it is [i own half of it] so worst case is that I will sell it for just enough to pay of the finance.................ouch I really DON'T want to do that in honesty

3)I can most likely get hold of a recon engine for £1200. Great just would take me a while to scrape the cash together. Be nice to have a shiney engine though.......:D

That's another option too, but Sabrina had some very good news earlier but i'll let her tell you all

and the option I am going with

4)Buy a second hand FTO engine delivered to the garage where my car is, for £695. Parts gauranteed for three months etc. Likely to have lower mileage than my current engine has [at 100k] and most importantly is likely to work better than my current engine.

I can't belive how well Sabrina has handled this. I would have be mad and in tears. Well done babe :clap: I just hope she's in the same mood when she see's the bill :(

The plus side is that if she can get the money and the right parts we'd like to make it a 400bhp FTO monster. :D Possibly along the same lines as the bloke in the Aug edition of Banzai.

:hug:

Sorry to hear about the engine Sabrina :cry:

An evo engine conversion like Marks, will end up costing you near £10K :scare:

The easiest engine to use (and it still needs a fair bit of work) is the 2.5 litre V6 twin turbo lump out of the VR4!

Richard Batty's VR4 powered FTO is an absolute monster, i think he ran at TOTB this year?

To be honest though, you would be better off saving your money a buying a car that was built to take the power as you've still got to put the power down through the front wheels.

Speak to Mark at EuroSpec or Giles at Japco for the cheapest option of a new GPX engine.

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

The EVO engine might be too tall...your FTO has a V6 and even though it's narrow angle it might be shorter than a EVO block. The engine will also be longer width ways in the bay which, with a gearbox will be a squeeze. But the good news is that the turbo should fit as the engine won't be as deep :)

So I'd have to go with a "possibly" rating on the project.

The EVO engine might be too tall...your FTO has a V6 and even though it's narrow angle it might be shorter than a EVO block. The engine will also be longer width ways in the bay which, with a gearbox will be a squeeze. But the good news is that the turbo should fit as the engine won't be as deep :)

So I'd have to go with a "possibly" rating on the project.

The evo engine actually looks quite small sat in the FTO engine bay compared to the original V6 so room isn't real an issue.

I think the main problems Mark had when he did his was matching the gearbox and clutch etc.

At least with the VRV lump you still get the lovely V6 Mivec howl :love:

I would love to go for more power. Was talking to the mechanic about my options today and he almost twisted my arm with an Galant engine, he was there with his little japanese engine book looking at which cars had the same family of engine....oooo it was sooo tempting

But no, the most financially sound option is to swap like for like. It looks like it will be 2 to 3 weeks until she is back on the road. A week and half to get the funds together, and a further week probably whilst she's being swapped around.

Whilst she's there, I'm going to get a full service, cambelt change, oil and plugs etc etc.

:D

no probs, just a thought but if you're after a very easy (virtually drops straight in) there is a non turbo version of the 2.5 litre V6 which is basically just a bored out version of the 2 litre mivec engine.

This wont be much more powerful than the standard 2 litre (about 30bhp more) but its got a fair bit more torque. :eyebrows:

Anyway hope, all goes well whatever route you take.

If you need anyones numbers or want me to get a mate to post up a question up on the FTOOC for you, let me know :thumbs:

no probs, just a thought but if you're after a very easy (virtually drops straight in) there is a non turbo version of the 2.5 litre V6 which is basically just a bored out version of the 2 litre mivec engine.

This wont be much more powerful than the standard 2 litre (about 30bhp more) but its got a fair bit more torque. :eyebrows:

Anyway hope, all goes well whatever route you take.

If you need anyones numbers or want me to get a mate to post up a question up on the FTOOC for you, let me know :thumbs:

Thanks mate. I was sooooo desperate on saturday that I swallowed my pride and posted on the FTOOC. Ricerocket came through for me in the end. He has a couple of engines I can pick from. I trust him more than a scrap yard in manchester who think they have an fto engine with 25k on the clock and want to sell it for me for £750.