The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK vs J-Spec TT - owners opinions

ellis

Interesting day! Started out still searching for a UK TT. Popped down to see Chris Wilson to get a new zorst for my N/A before it sells and asked him his opinion! Oops! Said get a J-Spec TT instead - ceramic turbos, better lower end grunt, lightning quick! UK has steel turbos, take longer to spool up, not as fast in real world. So now I'm in a quandry!! So I'm calling on those who may have driven/owned both or either type for their opinions - and be quick as I have a wedge of cash in my pocket burning a big hole and quite a few cars that I'm now interested in!

All replies greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I'm after an unmolested car whether its UK or J-Spec! :ecstatic:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh!

UK stock cars - are few and far between but they're out there.

JSpecs - You've more chance finding a 100% stock car. Mine was 100% stock TT when I bought it and is a manual too.

Sure, there's differences between the cars. 1 car may have better standard brakes than the other. Another car may have faster spool up turbos etc. At the end of the day - Both are still Supras.

You can always slap on UK Brakes to JSpec & replace the plastic headlights with glass.

My main consideration of a UK Supe - would be the cheaper insurance.

I only got a UK for the insurance (and the brakes but a lot of jspecs have the UK brakes on already). Personally, i'd of got a j-spec but treat each car as an individual - if you find a mint UK then consider it, if you find a mint j-spec, consider it. You'll struggle to find a UK Manual but there's actually a few for sale right now.....

Aaah, so unless stated in an ad, assume it hasn't! To be honest its just that and the bonnet scoop that appeals to me on the UK car (nothing like being shallow and superficial!!) and the slightly higher interior spec.

You mean the beige leather seats! :limp:

You can fit a scoop to the J spec car aswell.

On my J spec I've got UK brakes and black leather recaros, what more can you want? :D

You can always get the scoop fitted on a JDM car, but you probably wont get the ducting to go with it or put on. You wont go wrong with either car in terms of enjoyment. Never assume anything with these ads, the only way of knowing is to ask to go look yourself. I guess with the UKs you kinda know where you stand from the outset at least.

(and I love my cream/beige/tan/ivory whatever interior with the black :D )

They're both great cars. If you want the faster spooling and lighter model go for the j-spec. If you must have all the extras and don't mind the car being more sluggish to drive then buy a UK spec.

I choose a jspec because I prefer the more responsive turbos and I don't care for a lot of the extras the UK comes with.

They're both great cars. If you want the faster spooling and lighter model go for the j-spec. If you must have all the extras and don't mind the car being more sluggish to drive then buy a UK spec.

I choose a jspec because I prefer the more responsive turbos and I don't care for a lot of the extras the UK comes with.

Sluggisih??!! 326bhp - sluggish! Really??!! Bloody hell!

:scare:

It feels sluggish compated to the j-spec. The power output of the UK and Jspec are very similar but the lag from the UKs makes them feel more sluggish as the Jspecs spools quicker

But not compared to a J-spec with blown turbos at 50k miles ;)

I challange you to go ride with someone like AttilaUK or AJI in their Supras around tracks and see if they feel slow to you :)

At this point I gracefully back out of the room whilst you guys slog it out!!! Let me know who wins, I'm off to buy a car!!

Seriously fella you'd be happy with either model, you just need to go look at some examples, of both kinds, decide on what spec you actually desire and why, then go find cars that match :)