The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk spec vote

DBR

Hmmmmm!! just been wondering what you guys think.

I have a Auto uk TT in storm Blue Cream Leather (Stunning car), but as a few of you know im still after that ever tempting uk Manual.

A)would you keep your auto that you love to bits, anits your perfect colour package. :limp:

B)would you sell up an get your self a manual in the same condition but in silver with 20k less miles on it.

Desissions....desissions!!!!!!!!!!! :innocent: :drown:

Hmmmmm!! just been wondering what you guys think.

I have a Auto uk TT in storm Blue Cream Leather (Stunning car), but as a few of you know im still after that ever tempting uk Manual.

A)would you keep your auto that you love to bits, anits your perfect colour package. :limp:

B)would you sell up an get your self a manual in the same condition but in silver with 20k less miles on it.

Desissions....desissions!!!!!!!!!!! :innocent: :drown:

If you can find one with less mileage go for it, but you could be in for a long wait

J-Spec Manual :innocent: :D

im a 'uk' fan..... but still love the j-spec, an of coarse there is the fact the i cant bring myself to pay double the amount of insurance for a lower spec car :p ................................ never could figure out how that one worked? :shrug:

If money is not a issue, keep the auto one and get the manual, then you will have auto for daily drive and weekend or nice day for manual one :)

KARacing that is the best idea ive heard all day :respekt: :clap: ......... apart from one minor drawbak..... :cry:

I can hardly afford to keep one suup let alone 2.

Ohhhhhh!! but how sweet would it be to have 2 UK suup's on ur drive...... hmmm which one should i take today :p

Guest KARacing
KARacing that is the best idea ive heard all day :respekt: :clap: ......... apart from one minor drawbak..... :cry:

I can hardly afford to keep one suup let alone 2.

Ohhhhhh!! but how sweet would it be to have 2 UK suup's on ur drive...... hmmm which one should i take today :p

The Supra is so cheap in Hong Kong nowaday (especially from 93 to 96). The price is around GBP$2500 to GBP$4500 only. For myself, I have two supra, one is 1993TT Auto for daily drive and another one is 2000 VVT-i Turbo 6SPD which I bought it as brand new from Toyota in Japan

Having owned an auto then buying a manual, they both have advantages and disadvantages. So much so, that I honestly cannot say that one is better than the other.

The only reason I would go manual us if your power goals are likely to be very high, (genuine 500+) as the manual box can withstand a lot more power than the auto before needing expensive attention.

The only reason I would go manual us if your power goals are likely to be very high, (genuine 500+) as the manual box can withstand a lot more power than the auto before needing expensive attention.

Yep that's been on my mind a bit lately, not that I'm likely to be getting that sort of power anytime soon, but I read over on the AEM forums some time ago about quite a few people killing their autoboxes with ~500bhp (500 real horses). I think the lack of pulled-timing from the AEM at the time didn't help, but even so..

Having owned an auto then buying a manual, they both have advantages and disadvantages. So much so, that I honestly cannot say that one is better than the other.....

Hopefully this will make me dislike the auto a bit less :eyebrows:

I'm getting used to it, slowly, but it's a painful transition from a 6sp...

It's brilliant in start-stop traffic though :D

The auto's are fantastic cruisers. They're so nice to drive on a day to day basis, round town, when you're feeling lazy, stuck in traffic etc. Yet, stick you're foot to the floor, and that 2nd gear kickdown is fantastic!

They're also a lot quicker from a standing start and far easier to launch. The only time a manual is quicker is round corners or into very high speeds, and that's only because the gears are a lot shorter.

Yes, there are a couple of places/speeds you can catch the auto out, but the manual can easily catch the driver out if you select the wrong gear. There have been many times I've been following someone on the motorway, then all of a sudden, the car in front floors it. In the auto I could stay with them immediatly, but with the manual, you have to select the correct gear, then go. By that time the car in front is well on it's way!

Having said all that, I do love the involvement of the manual, and it's 'chuckability'. When you do get the launches and gearshifts right its very rewarding. However, mine is now only a fun car. Not a daily driver.

IMO get the lower mileage manual if you can find it! but have a drive first (if you haven't already) to make sure you do like it.

Firstly, why is it people think j-spec insurance is like twice as much, if you shop around it doesn't need to cost _any_ more at all, so there is no need to worry about that.

Secondly, the auto is slower not quicker, lets not have that debate again lol. Of course you need to be able to drive the manual. Put a novice in the car and they would fair better in the auto every time. Put a decent driver behind the wheel of a manual and he is going to make best use of the 6 gears rather than 4, the better control and the lower power losses...

If you want a daily driver and you do a lot of town driving, I can see why an auto would be appealing though! horses for courses really, depends on what you want out of the car and what floats your boat so to speak. I've never been an auto fan and as good as the supra auto box may be, thats still not enough to convince me 1 bit.