The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carpet removal

monkey76364

This weekend, weather permitting, I will be taking ou the carpet in the Supe and seeing if I can clean it or not.

Does any one know what driving around in the car with out it in will be like, is it going to be very noisey and horrible, as i have a feeling i wont be able to get it cleaned or dyed withing the time limit of being ready to use for Monday !!!

It depends how dirty the carpet is really, but have you considered taking out the front seats and using a wet/dry carpet shampooer (one of these: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3801&productId=155879&clickfrom=name) with the carpets in situ. Not suggesting you buy one - ask your mum LOL. If its a dry day leave the windows open and they dry in about 1hr. Also works well on cloth seats.

I am in this very situation at the moment. Everything sounds louder (exhaust, first turbo... try driving in the rain and hearing the absolute torrent that pours through the wheel arches!) but it's perfectly driveable. I put the drivers side mat back in so my heels didn't slip around.

Passenger footwell may be a mass of wires (I've got alarm, Greddy speed limit remover and RLTC down there) and there's some annoying wires hanging down next to the accelerator but as lovatt says just tape them out the way if you need to.

Cleaning tips - I just used Aerial clothes washing liquid and a nylon brush. You can really work the brush in there without damaging the carpet, and boy does the dirt come out. Give it a really good hose down afterwards to get all the soapy water out. The carpet has a foam-like backing which soaks up the water so the whole thing will be totally sodden by the time you've finished. I put mine on the line and it was still dripping out four hours later.

Try and do it on a sunny day.

Was thinking of doing this myself. I've just put the sound dampening tiles all round the boot area (that was fun ...and a word of advice...dont even try it without a heat gun), and was thinking of putting some dampners under the front carpet, and giving it a wash.

How hard is it to remove the carpet, and put it back. Also will the dampners make a marked improbement?

Removing the carpet takes about 20-30 mins.

Undo four bolts on each seat and remove them

Pull out bottom half of rear seat (the bit you put yer bum on)

Take off plastic strips along each door/footwell

Undo screws that hold centre cubby hole bit (you just need to loosen this not remove it completely)

Then just start pulling the carpet out.

I found the most difficult bit was getting the plastic clutch footrest thingy off - it only clips in but you can't get a good angle on it so it takes a bit of huffing and puffing.

• 2 years later...
Removing the carpet takes about 20-30 mins.

Undo four bolts on each seat and remove them

Pull out bottom half of rear seat (the bit you put yer bum on)

Take off plastic strips along each door/footwell

Undo screws that hold centre cubby hole bit (you just need to loosen this not remove it completely)

Then just start pulling the carpet out.

I found the most difficult bit was getting the plastic clutch footrest thingy off - it only clips in but you can't get a good angle on it so it takes a bit of huffing and puffing.

Thread revival, just used this guide and its spot on :thumbs:

great info here. I'm getting my retrim at the mo and I reckon when I get it back I will really need to dye the carpet black so it all looks spot on. I thought it would be a right hassle getting the carpet out but this info has really given me the confidence to try this myself ( I'm not very good with the whole DIY thing.. lol) :D cheers guys

great info here. I'm getting my retrim at the mo and I reckon when I get it back I will really need to dye the carpet black so it all looks spot on. I thought it would be a right hassle getting the carpet out but this info has really given me the confidence to try this myself ( I'm not very good with the whole DIY thing.. lol) :D cheers guys

Its really easy mate, the only thing that stumped me for a bit is the drivers foot rest, the little plastic bits you can turn are actually screws, just keep turning and it will come off.

Its really easy mate, the only thing that stumped me for a bit is the drivers foot rest, the little plastic bits you can turn are actually screws, just keep turning and it will come off.

cheers for the advice, the last owner spilled coffee or something on the passenger footwell and altho the mat covers most of it, it has allways bugged me and since my retrim is getting done I might aswell fix it while I have the time. :D