The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice Please

Guest Rochey

Hi I'm new to the site, I'm looking to pick up a Supra in the UK (I live in Ireland) this weekend or next and I'm looking for advice.

I want a Manual TT but I've only got £8k to spend due to Euro vs Sterling, 33% Vehicle Registration Tax, flights, ferry, etc.

My questions are;

How many miles to the gallon do TT owners get? Petrol ain't cheap these days

What should I be looking for when buying one?

Also the one I am looking at is in Keighley Trade Centre it's a 1994 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 Single GT26 Turbo Conversion Rare Manual, does anyone have any info on that garage? are they ok? Should I avoid one with this conversion?

Thanks

stay well clear mate i travelled for 3 hours was there five minuites :swear:

that single turbo one has been there for about four months if not longer i have seen this car and she is very battered body kits hanging off cracked etc etc

your much better buying a car off of here you pay a little more but you get an honest car most of the time hope this helps :thumbs:

Oh right, thanks for that mikey, I thought I heard somewhere that those guys weren't great but wasn't sure.

I was hoping to get one from here so that I can be sure it has been looked after but my price range just won't stretch.

I've got my heart set on a manual but I think I may have to settle for the Auto, how does it compare to the manual

Oh right, thanks for that mikey, I thought I heard somewhere that those guys weren't great but wasn't sure.

I was hoping to get one from here so that I can be sure it has been looked after but my price range just won't stretch.

I've got my heart set on a manual but I think I may have to settle for the Auto, how does it compare to the manual

i was exactly the same as you my friend i was adament i wanted a manual but they seem very hard to find so i test drove an auto :D

im glad i did now i think they are great the box works very very well dont be put off what people say test drive a few never but the first one you see theres always better best of luck mate they are great cars :thumbs:

Hi mate,

firstly i'm also a newbie to the world of Supra's and am looking @ buying a Uk spec manual. however with regards to that keighley place.. well put it this way a mate went to look at a scooby they had up for £12000 a 2dr STi.. car imo was an absolute shodder and had been cellotaped up to cover bumper scuffs..!! :thumbdown

the sales guys didnt even wanna start the bloody thing up even after we told them we've travelled over 200 miles to get there....!

didnt realise before but did a search on a scooby forum and heard nowt but bad things...

Really mate stay well clear if i were u..!

Max.

If you want a manual, stick with it! I wanted a manual, saw so many autos (like 5 autos to every manual) that I nearly caved in. Sooo so glad I held out for the manual now though, it's an amazing box and you never get bored of 6 gears :D :woot:

Best thing is not to be in a rush when getting one, take your time to find a nice example of what you want, there are a fair few around now.

For MPG, I'd say maybe 20mpg is realistic, dropping to sub 10mpg if you boot it! Extreme careful driving on a run may see mid 25s to 30mpg. Haven't measured mine but I think thats about right. Thats for a fairly standard to BPU car, for a single, hmm no idea but I expect its very low indeed! (anyone got any figures?)

Supra's are very strong, so they don't have many faults!

I'd check for obvious abuse and bodywork damage/condition obviously. You can get some real bargains if you are after a modded car, but be careful not to by a car that's been botched.

if you really want a massively powerful single turbo'd car then buying one ready done will probably save you a lot of money, but you've got to be 100% it's been done properly. I'd advice getting a reasonable standard one (engine wise at least) that still has it's stock twin turbo's and gradually getting the mods done yourself as and when you want them, that way you know whats what and end up with exactly what you want, even if it does cost a bit more.

Look for smoke on start-up, smoke when accelerating. listen for any whines from the turbos. The engine should be smooth and sweet, when idling all you should hear is the injectors clicking pretty much :)

Watch out for cars that have been running excessive boost. no more than 1.2 for a standard jap spec or the turbos will be a ticking time bomb...

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi rochey,

its nice to see someone more local on the site. Iv recently purchased a manual TT supra and have absolutly no regrets so far regardless of the stupit fuel/tax costs. They are a very impressive car, and id prefer driving it to my bro's E46 M3 anyday.

Id imagine you'll probably go for a jspec car, well i did anyhow as there cheaper, more easliy to get hold of, and no extra premium for insurance (unlike the Uk). On saying that though they still are hard to find round here, and gettin it from the uk youll get hit BIG for VRT

Im from the west of ireland, if your ever round my area il be glad to give to you a proper test drive.

Hiya

Got my TT last week, it's bog standard, nothing done to it.

I got 20mpg on a long run doing a fair bit of speed on the journey hoe from picking it up.

Cruised at 3,000 revs from Merseyside down to London and got 26mpg, haven't checked the return journey but I'm guessing around 30mpg as the tank wasn't so low.

Enjoy it when you get it!

Just got back from Dublin on Tuesday and can confirm that fuel prices are cheaper over there than here (but only just). Heard lots of tales of Super Unleaded fuel (which you will want for a Jap import IMO) not being available anymore in Ireland but found a Shell garage near Dundrum selling V-Power at €1,14 so I guess you just have to know where to find it.

As some of the others have said, don't discount the Auto as it's an excellent box.

Heard lots of tales of Super Unleaded fuel (which you will want for a Jap import IMO) not being available anymore in Ireland but found a Shell garage near Dundrum selling V-Power at €1,14 so I guess you just have to know where to find it.

Just on the petrol bit.

All petrol in Ireland is 95 ron max.

That includes the v-power from shell.

Shell sell it in higher ron ratings in other countries but not here in Ireland.

Its officially rated at 95.

I rang all the major fuel suppliers here at the start of the summer.

All told the same story.

Withdrawing supplies due to cost ( the result of an additional government levy of 6 cent on every litre, imposed in 1996)

John

Sorry to barge in, but what're insurance costs like over in Ireland? Heard they were pretty damn steep.

They can be depending on age.

To put it into perspective, its not unusual for say a 20-21 year old to be quoted about €4000.00 for a 10 year old opel corsa 1 litre.

Me, I am resisting the fact that I will be 40 next year, my insurance, fully comp, windscreen etc is about €800.00

My wife is also on the insurance.

The road tax is bordering on extortion though.

Just over €1100.00 per year

Somehow I wouldnt mind paying for the more expensive good quality fuel, rather than be f**ked in the ass, for tax and insurance.

John

Yep, fuel over here sucks, nearly better off pissing into the tank. Im curently on "hold" on performance mods at the moment until i get something proper sorted.

Insurance id say is worse over here than in the uk, although im only 23 i count myself very lucky to have insurance on the car i do, as i switched it over 3 times this year i dont exactly know what this years premium is, but renewal is up soon and i hope it will be under 2k (uk£1350) but can only get TPFT(but its the risk im willing to take).

@Rochey: There was a 94 red supra tt manual (with recaros) for sale in dublin iv seen on another forum for 14900, might save you from goin over to the UK,..... pending that i could always source you one from japan if you were interested.

Just on the petrol bit.

All petrol in Ireland is 95 ron max.

That includes the v-power from shell.

Shell sell it in higher ron ratings in other countries but not here in Ireland.

Its officially rated at 95.

I rang all the major fuel suppliers here at the start of the summer.

All told the same story.

Withdrawing supplies due to cost ( the result of an additional government levy of 6 cent on every litre, imposed in 1996)

John

:complain:

So what's the difference between the V-power and the standard unleaded pumps? It was AA patrol that told me where to find the "Super Unleaded" fuel.

:giveup:

@Rochey: There was a 94 red supra tt manual (with recaros) for sale in dublin iv seen on another forum for 14900, might save you from goin over to the UK,..... pending that i could always source you one from japan if you were interested.

Importing form Japan has put here in the first place, my Impreza got nicked in transit and I'm trying to get my money back from the importer to try and by a Supra, he is insisting on finding me another STi Type R but I don't think there are any decent ones around so I reckon it'll be Supra all the way. Once I have the cash I'll check out that Red one.

Insurance isn't too bad, I'm 22 and its 2k third party.

Fuelling is the problem, with 97Ron gone, how do the Jap Supras cope with 95Ron, I know the Scoobies will detonate after a couple of thousand miles on it.

I'll check out an auto and a manual before I buy but for some reason I really want a manual.

Thanks for all your input guys

:complain:

So what's the difference between the V-power and the standard unleaded pumps? It was AA patrol that told me where to find the "Super Unleaded" fuel.

:giveup:

John

In ron ratings there us absolutely no difference at all.

Shell claim they have additives in it to clean your engine, thereby making it more fuel efficient and longer lasting.

Quote:-

(from an information leaflet picked up in a shell garage)

"Shell V-Power is available exclusively on Shell forecourts across the republic of Ireland."

"It is suitable for all vehicles which run on 95 octane unleaded petrol. Shell V-Power has an octne rating of 95 (ron)"

"Designed for improved responsiveness"

"Cleans your engine as you drive"

"Helps restore your engine"

"Keeps cleaning your engine as you use it"

Theres more bull**** as well but you get the idea

John

"Shell V-Power is available exclusively on Shell forecourts across the republic of Ireland."

"It is suitable for all vehicles which run on 95 octane unleaded petrol. Shell V-Power has an octne rating of 95 (ron)"

"Designed for improved responsiveness"

"Cleans your engine as you drive"

"Helps restore your engine"

"Keeps cleaning your engine as you use it"

Theres more bull**** as well but you get the idea

Typical marketing hype.

Came across V-Power once before but that was in Germany and was 100 RON! :sly:

I'm actually trying to find this one, do you have any contact details for the seller by any chance?

I'm actually trying to find this one, do you have any contact details for the seller by any chance?

• Year: 1995

• 78,000 mls

• 3L, Twin Turbo

• 6 Speed Manual Transmission

• Recardo Seats

• 18” Alloys

• Sony CD Head Unit

• Sony 6 CD Changer

• Meta Remote Alarm & Immobiliser

• Japanese Import

Price €14,500 ono

This is the add, no contact number given (typical), il try get the number for you...

Supra.jpg