The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! my rear tyre inner side is bald

China Man

Hi,

I was washing the car the other day and trying to get the dirt out of the rear arch and I realised the inner side of the rear wheel has no thread left!!!

I got good quote from pro alloy for some Eagle F1 buy I think I need to get the chamber adjusted? I did balanced all the wheels and laser alingment 4 months ago and they did said something about needed a chamber thing done but they don't have the machine......

I don't want to put new tyres on and wear it out in a few months again.

Any ideas? I did use the search button but it just get me more confused :cry:

China

Hi China, that’s almost certainly an alignment problem. I had the same thing happen with my rears, though it was less severe. Rear camber came out at -3 degrees which explained the wear!

BTW: Best source of F1's is Bracknell tyres. They're £103 each fitted for stock 17's.

thx homer,

is camber and laser alignment the same thing? This is the bit that lost me completely. I went to the tyre shop near me 4 months ago and they adjusted the front and back alignment....and they say I need the camber thing done...

jeez......is just some wheels on a car, why is it so complicated.

China

If you’re getting a 'Full' Laser alignment done then checking camber on front an rear wheels is a part of this. Some companies claim 'Laser wheel alignment' but can only ever check the Toe. Here's what needs to be checked if you get a full alignment done:

FONT

- Caster

- Camber

- Toe

REAR

- Camber

- Toe

- Thrust angle

A lot of people recommend the 'Lance W' settings over the stock ones, they are found here: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html

Mate,

I'm no expert on this, but I've been experiencing the same inner tyre wear on the rears and a buddy of mine said to check the bushes on the wishbones before getting camber adjusted.. Apparently if these bushes are worn, the wheel sort of sags, hence upsetting the camber and wear. Worse still, go round a corner, the play in the bush allows the wheel to turn the camber the opposite way and the handling is no where near as it could be. Trouble is, the wear is slow to develop so you don't notice handling deteriorating. Certainly when I've got the new engine and box in, the next job is a new set of bushes from somewhere.

Symz

Mate,

I'm no expert on this, but I've been experiencing the same inner tyre wear on the rears and a buddy of mine said to check the bushes on the wishbones before getting camber adjusted.. Apparently if these bushes are worn, the wheel sort of sags, hence upsetting the camber and wear. Worse still, go round a corner, the play in the bush allows the wheel to turn the camber the opposite way and the handling is no where near as it could be. Trouble is, the wear is slow to develop so you don't notice handling deteriorating. Certainly when I've got the new engine and box in, the next job is a new set of bushes from somewhere.

Symz

That’s all very true, but you can't simply replace the suspension arm bushes on the Supra. The standard ones only come with the arms so its a very expensive 'upgrade'.

I think Nic was quoting well over a £1.5k for a set of uprated TRD bushes, the stock ones with only the suspension arms are around the £800 mark, but this still leaves you with all the drop links and other components to replace.

Then there is fitting on top! From what I’ve managed to find so far a full bush replacement with fitting will be over £2k. You have no chance of doing this at home due to the presses needed.

An allignment is a good first step, bushes come later!

Flippin heck, holy bollony batman, I'm gutted. Am so going to have leave that upgrade for a little while. Thanks for the heads up Homer.

Don't let that put you off mate, those are the prices to replace a majority of the suspension bushes, if you find a problem in only one area obviously the cost will be lower. I'm looking at swapping the drop links and track rod end as they are relatively cheap (around £250 parts), new shocks (£450) then do the alignment. Hopefully it'll feel a bit better after!