The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Alarms.... can any recommend a company

n00b

hi all, sorry a bit of a boring question

:stickpoke

i want to fit a cat 1 car alarm and immob to a supra and after much much much looking around I really don’t know who to trust as prices/specs vary so much. has anyone used a company that offers fitting anywhere in the UK (I am in Lancashire) and if so can anyone recommend a company?

im thinking of spending around £350 so should I be looking for a Clifford 650?

Ta for your time or any suggestions

n00b

Thanks Ian :thumbs:

After rectifying many of GAP's *nice* mobile installations, personally, I'd find yourself a good local dealer/shop that won't run away, not turn up, or stop answering your calls if you ever get a problem...

My personaly preferences are the Toad Ai606 and Clifford Concept 650 or Intelliguard 950.

Thanks Ian :thumbs:

After rectifying many of GAP's *nice* mobile installations, personally, I'd find yourself a good local dealer/shop that won't run away, not turn up, or stop answering your calls if you ever get a problem...

My personaly preferences are the Toad Ai606 and Clifford Concept 650 or Intelliguard 950.

bugger... best get the yellow pages out :woot:

n00b

having real problems finding a reliable firm to come out and fit a clifford 650, i rang gap and they said £499... and after what you guys said i dont really wannt them to do it.

any ideas?

ta!

I appologise in advance for those who will get offended, but IMHO, if you want a good job done, take it to a proper car security dealer, with a proper workshop, proper tools, technical support and properly trained staff.

There are far too many fly-by-night mobile cowboys out there, and it's far too easy these days to buy the likes of Clifford over the internet and then go out quoting cheap prices and making nasty lash-up installations.

The Supra has two ignition lines. One powers the dashboard and some auxiluary systems, while the other powers the engine ECU. You'd be amazed at the number of incorrectly immobilised car's I've seen and corrected. Most of these have been done by the likes of GAP and other mobile companys.

Mobile people always seem to be good until you get a problem, then after many phone calls and no-shows, the customers end up going to proper dealers to get the f*ck-ups rectified. And of course, the dealers want to charge the customer, who feels it's his right to have work rectified FOC seeing as it was only fitted a couple of weeks ago....

Now, I personally know of about 5 mobile guys in my area. Two of those are very honest and do give very good customer support. The other three, I wouldn't trust to lend them my solder.

There are good mobile guys out there, but there are far more good dealers that need to have a good reputation as their shop is always in the same place and they can't hide from their cock-ups so easily.

All IMHO of course :)

When the immobiliser is on, if you turn your ignition on, what lights come on?

More to the point, what doesn't come on?

Ummm.. I put the key in the ignition (whilst the LED is flashing so immobilised), turn the key and all the usual lights come on (ECU, Warning triangle, Seat belts, etc.etc.). If I disarm the alarm no other lights come on. I guess this is bad then. I suppose the ECU light shouldn't come on? Bloody GAP. :complain:

Ummm.. I put the key in the ignition (whilst the LED is flashing so immobilised), turn the key and all the usual lights come on (ECU, Warning triangle, Seat belts, etc.etc.). If I disarm the alarm no other lights come on. I guess this is bad then. I suppose the ECU light shouldn't come on? Bloody GAP. :complain:

LOL, generally the ECU, battery and slip control lights won't illuminate until the immobiliser is turned off. However, this isn't 100% accurate as they may have been clever and immobilised a different circuit.......

....But I doubt it ! :rolleyes:

When Matt slotted a Cat 1 Toad alarm into my car (yes, I trusted him to work on it, that's an exclusive club ;) ) he found that the older alarm system on it had been originally wired up so that anyone could have gotten in via the passenger door and it wouldn't have gone off. What makes matters worse is that I had to have that system re-certificated a year beforehand and the guy didn't bloody spot that cockup! Also, I personally accidentally bypassed the immobiliser by unplugging it from under the dash while hunting down an electrical fault. Incredible.

My car is well and truly immobilised now until I press the button - the E-Manage doesn't come on and that's plumbed into the ECU power line...

-Ian

LOL, generally the ECU, battery and slip control lights won't illuminate until the immobiliser is turned off. However, this isn't 100% accurate as they may have been clever and immobilised a different circuit.......

fancy a trip out to lancashire matt? :thumbs: please please please please .... (o well no harm in asking)

n00b

Ok. When I've recovered from the debt enhancing trip to France and a few other things I'll have to do a visit to you.

I'm not happy with where the clifford box is located anyway and I'd rather be 100% happy that the thing is wired up properly.

The remote boot release doesn't work either.