The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More advice please - write offs

lightwave

Ok, so further to my last post:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=45052

they've written off my car. Usually I'd be quite annoyed, but as I found a house at the weekend with my girlfriend and have a mortgage on the way, I could do with the money.

Anyone who's got experience with cars being written off - can I have some words of wisdom on the matter? My insurers have emailed me at the weekend to say my insurance is now cancelled and to send them the documents for the car (cos it's now theirs).

I had a phone call from the 'salvage' company today to arrange pick up of the car. But I didn't tell them where it is so they've put it on hold for now. I told them they can't have the car yet - I've not sorted anything with my insurance company.

When should my insurance company make me an offer on the car (which I'll refuse obviously) so I can find out how much they're offering me and agree it before I let them have my car?

Also, does anyone know what the procedure normally is at this stage? My car is at my friend's garage and he won't let them take it until I say it's ok.

Ideas? :)

Hi Al,

Damn shame still :(

Firstly make sure you get round your mates garage and get all the good bits off NOW. Because if the insurance company put there foot down and demand collection your really going to be screwed (as its technically their car now if they are going to pay up - regardless how much they pay).

Gaz.

If you've declared any mods to your insurance company you should really leave them on. But DO NOT let them collect the car until you've agreed a figure and arranged collection. You're well within your rights to do this. Any idea which salvage company it's going to?

I believe you should only leave mods on if you can't replace them with the original item, or if they're paying out for the value of the mods. Lots of insurance companies insist you declare mods, but will only replace/pay out for stock value items, so they can go whistle if they want to keep the mods.

My daily driver has recently been written off and I told the salvage company that I want to hold on to the car till a settlement was reached which was fine. Some companies are very eager to collect the car so that they do not incur any storage costs whic can be very lucrative for the garages that charge for this service.

Anyway, I noticed your sig mentions Gibson and Boyne, is that a full re-trim and will you be removing it from the car.

Oh, and sorry about the car. :)

First dibbs on the exhaust!!!! :tongue:

You're too slow Doug. You can have second dibs after me though :p

DO NOT let them collect the car until you've agreed a figure and arranged collection. You're well within your rights to do this.
Thanks for confirming that Jez. It's what I told Al earlier today but always nice to have it confirmed by someone in the game.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

someone (I won't say who, as it's contentious) has first dibbs on my spoiler

Jake has first dibbs on my exhaust.

There will be other parts up for grabs later. Wheels with Eagle F1's and loads of tread. They're unscathed, beautiful examples.

The Gibson and Boyne was only hand brake and gear shifter I'm afraid, so that'll go with the car.

I've got two turbos in the garage which I bought at the beginning of the year from Dude. I think he said they'd done 30k. J-spec standard turbos.

There's going to be front and side clear indicators going on ebay. Also front and side silver bulbs.

There's a set of green Street Glow gold class under neons in the loft I never fitted. I'll also remove the 4 green interior Fusion neons I have in the car.

I'll post again when I've got the parts and some prices guys.

Interesting idea Alex. Just not sure I want a stripped car hanging about on the driveway.

Bearing in mind it's a TT aerotop (fresh black respray 6 months ago) it'll now be written off, but I suppose I could buy it, fix it and sell it. Wonder if it's worth it.

The hassle-free option is to let the insurance company take it and to just have the money. I'll rape it for parts before I let it go though.

You strip it down as fast as possible. Anything you can sell then get the shell crushed and get a certificate for the crushing and send that to the insurance company. (Cause they will want proof that the car has been properly murdered.

Just to warn you, my mate wrote off his car. We raped it of all the good parts. The insurance company had the car collected but had it looked at again. They noted that the air filter, stereo, exhaust, etc was missing and said that if the car was not given back to them complete then they would be knocking these amounts off the final settlement figure. To get round it he sold the uprated parts on an exchange basis for standard parts to put back on the car.

Fear not, I'm leaving PARTS all on it - not actually leaving it without, but not actually the same parts.

I'll contact people who are interested in parts as well as post parts for sale on the board in the following weeks as I have them.

Just to warn you, my mate wrote off his car. We raped it of all the good parts. The insurance company had the car collected but had it looked at again. They noted that the air filter, stereo, exhaust, etc was missing and said that if the car was not given back to them complete then they would be knocking these amounts off the final settlement figure. To get round it he sold the uprated parts on an exchange basis for standard parts to put back on the car.

talk to the insurers about buying it back, i did it with mine when they wrote it off. And the cost of the repairs was about 15% of what the so called 'assessors' said it would be.

If you buy it back you can sell on for parts, or get rebuilt yourself.

OR

If you buy it back im sure theres someone on here that would take it off you for parts or to rebuild, at a profit to yourself.

(Buy back for write offs is usually about 15-20% of whatever they determine the value to be, so not alot unless all thats left post 'incident' is a shell!!!)

like i said i did it with mine, (and it funded a TRD widearch kit for the supe!!!) if you want anymore info/advice just PM me!

Also DONT take their first write off offer, they'll offer you next to nothing because alot of the time they get away with it, make sure you get the actual value, not what they 'think' its worth!!!