The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Brake Group Buy??

Nic

I've just posted out the last of the brake kits from the group buy I organised (see details [thread=39541]HERE[/thread])

There seem to be a few members asking about brake upgrades, so if there is enough interest I'll organise another group buy. The prices will be the same as the last one and I would need to order at least 5 sets.

Check out the details and prices on the link above and if you are interested in ordering put you name down here, so I can gauge interest :thanks:

I'm interested, very interested, I really wish I new they were going to fit behind my wheels though. Think I have about 5-6mm clearence at the moment with j-spec callipers.

You can use this diagram to check if the 4pot fronts will fit.

What wheels do you have? another member may know if they fit or not, or find someone with 4pot calipers fitted and try your wheels on their car.

ps. ignore the model numbers at the top of the image, these are exactly the same as the 4pot calipers used on the Supra.

p_hp_brake.jpg

Thanks Nic, I'll have a look at the diagram and see if they look like they will fit tonight then after work :)

My wheels are Work Equips 18" - not sure of the offset (as they were on car when I got it), but presume they are correct for the car. Width, not sure but wide!

Nic (or anyone), I don't suppose you have a similar diagram for the dimensions for the standard j-spec brake setup?

I see that the with the uk spec brakes, it's 39.1mm from the wheel mounting face to the caliper edge. I think I currently have 5 or 6mm of space with j-spec brakes.

That means (I think) that the j-spec diagram needs to show me that the j-spec caliper protrudes no more than say 34.1mm from the wheel mounting face, or otherwise I need spacers or different front wheels (different offset).

This would be right on the limit of course, not sure how much clearence I should allow for movement due to wheel bearings...

Sorry Chilli I don't have a diagram for the J spec brakes, is there a member local to you with UK spec brakes you can test your wheels on, that is probably the easiest way of being sure. Unless another member has the same wheels as you on their car and also UK spec brakes.

Chilli - if you can tell me the offset of your wheels I can tell you for sure. Its stamped onto the rim of Work wheels, normally on a plate behind the spokes (not on the spokes itself but behind if you know what I mean!). It will be something like +43 [H] and more info like the size etc

However, I would guess they will fit as most "proper" Japanese wheels will.

Gaz.

Guest t1tman

nice1. just had service on the supe, i need new discs and pads all round. bit skint now, but let me know when you pencil a rough date when you need cash for and i'll let you know for sure.

I've just posted out the last of the brake kits from the group buy I organised (see details HERE)

There seem to be a few members asking about brake upgrades, so if there is enough interest I'll organise another group buy. The prices will be the same as the last one and I would need to order at least 5 sets.

Check out the details and prices on the link above and if you are interested in ordering put you name down here, so I can gauge interest

1. Dazsir - set of UK fronts please!

Hi Gaz,

Ok I've finally got round to finding that sticker on the wheels and have the details for the front wheels:

Work Equip 18" * 8J offset +29

Fingers crossed they will fit or I need minimal spacers. Don't fancy buying new wheels, the're pricey!

If the brakes are likely to fit then count me in on any uk brake group buy :)

Edit:

The standard offsets appear to be:

Factory 16" wheels - Front 16x8 - 50mm offset, Rear - 16x9 - 50mm offset

Factory 17" wheels - Front 17x8 - 50mm offset, Rear - 17x9.5 - 50mm offset

I have +29 offset for some strange reason!

Basing mine on the bigger wheels, I think I could afford a 21mm spacer (and thus loads of clearance for uk brakes) - this would then give the correct offset.

No idea why the front wheels I have don't have a more suitable offset, but I'm happy with a decent (professional) spacer arrangement than the prospect of ordering two new front wheels!

Update, just spoken to Ibrar, he says +29 is a very low offset - i.e the wheels stick out more, not less! Standard is +50, so mine are already 21mm out from normal (not in).

gaz, are you sure this is low? what offset do people normally run with aftermarket wheels then?