The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Picked my TT up today!!!

Babe

Finally got my car today, only 2 days late... piccy attached. It's a completely bog standard RZ Twin Turbo, 1993, 40,000 warranted miles, immaculate... nothing else I can add to that as nothing has been added! It's in desperate need of side skirts (student loan is imminent haha), and the wheels are already booked in to be changed to silver! It's quicker and handles better than the BMW 330i sports coupe so I'm well impressed (and it's half the price and cheaper to insure)!

Three (probably stupid) questions though...

1) It's an auto. All the lights on the dashbord light up for all the gears except 'D' - is this meant to light up too (think I've got a bulb gone if it is)?

2) How does the parcel shelf thing go back in? Dealer took it off so I could fold the seats down and get my gear in the back. Have snapped the long 'pole' bit back in its holes but I can't work out where the other end attaches... appears to be 2 things on the hatch but can't work out how I'm meant to open the boot if its attached there! My 6-stack is in the boot and I need it covered up!

3) How many litres is the fuel tank?

Offside front.jpg

Hello and :welcome:

1) yup, the D is supposed to light up, but it seems to be quite common for them to go, mine doesn't work either :)

2) You can pull out the two hooks in the boot because they're spring loaded and this is how you attach it to the parcel shelf / cloth thingy.

3) No idea, not big enough :tongue:

:thanks: Thank you!!

Will try the boot thing tomorrow if it ever stops raining!

Wasn't me in St Helens... was gonna go for a curry but too scared to leave it parked up in the dark haha... maybe I'll get brave soon but didn't want it nicked the day I bought it!

Had 'SLIP CONT' (I think) come up on the dash in green, and then it drove like a Fiesta which was highly embarrassing... tried pressing the traction control button but that did nothing, had to pull over and stop and turn the ignition off to make it go away. What does it mean? It was raining...

Thanks again for your help :thanks:

And :) NO I HAVEN'T STOPPED GRINNING YET!!! :)

:woot: another person from Merseyside, i'm assumin you're female? :eyebrows: Take it easy for the first few weeks while you get used to the car, many people stack them early on! Any plans for the car, keepin it stock or you gonna get on the slippery slope of moddin it? :D

I'm gonna be boring and take it easy for a few weeks... drove all the way back from Durham at 70mph :( , apart from a couple of overtakes.

Can't afford to do any mods yet, I've got 2 years left at Uni then I can start playing... side skirts will get done soon though, can't wait that long, and my wheels are hideous but the dealer's gonna change them for me. Getting LEDs for my birthday (so I'm told) but I can't get them done til I've got the skirts.

How much do decent brakes cost, they seem pretty high (and essential) on my list. Test drove an NA (just to make sure I didn't like it) and it had a wicked sounding exhaust... don't know what it was though!

Another question... got used to Harman Kardon sounds in the BMW - is it the stereo thats crap or will replacing the speakers sort it out? I've got a Toyota radio/cassette and 6-stack CD player (which is nearly in the middle of my boot for some reason!)

And yes, I'm a girlie!

Depends what brakes are on the car now - a lot of the pre-95 RZs come with UK spec brakes as an optional extra - these are slightly bigger than the Jspec ones and will be fine for most supras (except the big powered ones). If you've got the Jspec ones then keep an eye on the "For Sale" section, a few sets of UK brakes come up now and again (I might know of a set that might be available). If you want a new set, speak to some of the traders on here, they'll sort you out :)

p.s. about the boot blind, once the pole bits in place, there should be 2 cords that pull down from the top of the tailgate, these clip into the little plastic hooks on the boot blind.

Not too sure what the standard stereo in the jspec was like, the UK one was ok but nothin special, pretty sure a stock one won't sound as good as a Harmon Kardon one anyway :D Suppose the stereos were decent at the time :D

Congratulations about the new motor :thumbs:

If you post some pics of your brakes we'll be able to identify what you currently have, I guess if you think you need to uprate them they will be the smaller spec ones (front 2pot/rear 1pot).

The larger spec Toyota brakes (front 4pot/rear 2pot) give very good braking quality in comparison to the smaller ones. I've just finished doing a group buy on the larger spec brakes (see details [thread=39541]HERE[/thread]), but can still get them here qute a bit cheaper. PM me if you want details.

Had 'SLIP CONT' (I think) come up on the dash in green, and then it drove like a Fiesta which was highly embarrassing... tried pressing the traction control button but that did nothing, had to pull over and stop and turn the ignition off to make it go away. What does it mean? It was raining...

It means the traction control came on (you must have spun the wheels). The stock system is a bit crap (as you have now found out) - it just cuts the engine power for 15 (or is it 30?) seconds leaving you trundling along.

Either switch it off (and remove the bulb from the annoying dash light) or splash out yet more cash on Race Logic Traction Control (RLTC for short). Figure on around £500+ for that.

So... brakes, side skirts, RLTC. We're at the £1500+ mark already... :)

Getting LEDs for my birthday (so I'm told) but I can't get them done til I've got the skirts.

Forget the tacky LED's and shiny wheels (I personally prefer black on a silver Supra) spend the money on the brakes and Racelogic traction control (RLTC) see details HERE