The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question On A Respray

terribleturner

Decided that there are just to many scratches and chips to bother calling out chips away and that i think closer to the winter im gonna have a respray. Just the standard colour, but what i want to know is what's the process of doing a respray of the original colour?? Do they take the original paint back down and start again or do they just add another few coats to the top??

yes black IS the hardest colour

yes, we are using 2 pack (with line fed face mask and fan vented garage)

under the bonnet also to be done, windows in but VERY carefully masked (masking reapplied after each coat of primer - will all be left in place for the top coats) using Pro masking tape at £5 a roll

the windows out method is all very well, but the windows in the supra are hard to remove as i can tell! windows in has worked well on the last few cars we have done

• 2 weeks later...

i know Jake

respray complete, just fitting things back to it (got front and rear bumpers, skirts and bonnet to fit)

selling that classic car slowed stuff down and delayed spraying, had some family problems which delayed polishing, so did work issues - always happens!

keep your eyes peeled Sunday night - pictures should be up then!

Looking forward to it :D

I presume you can't spray a car and get a perfect finish just like that. So do you just spray it as best you can and then flat it all down to get the quality of paintwork you want, is that how it works? And then you lacquer it and do the same with the lacquer?

I presume you can't spray a car and get a perfect finish just like that. So do you just spray it as best you can and then flat it all down to get the quality of paintwork you want, is that how it works? And then you lacquer it and do the same with the lacquer?

thats exactly how it works...build the layers smoothly and slowly, 3 or 4 at a time, then cut back, and another few. then polish, and if polishing goes through, more paint. unfortunately, after 9 coats, polishing went through in 3 places, so the car had 6 more coats (total of 15 litres of paint (not painted carbon bonnet))

now on final gloss polish (has 3 polishes altogether - rough polish, smooth polish and machine glaze) then it will be Diamondbrited, then maybe some carnuba wax. there are still blemishes in the paint - but then im a perfectionist!

the 2 pack paint generally doesnt require a lacquer..unless you are doing metallic/pearlescent or flip paint

Looking forward to it :D

trust me...not as much as i am mate - its been four long months now!

15 litres! That's mad!

Surely you must be doing something wrong there mate. Don't 'they' usually paint a car with 2 or 3 litres?

When Dude painted my car I paid for 4 litres and he gave me a litre back to keep for resprays/stonechips/etc

Still, you must have saved a few quid doing it yourself. If the end result is good then :respekt: to you.

15 litres! That's mad!

Surely you must be doing something wrong there mate. Don't 'they' usually paint a car with 2 or 3 litres?

When Dude painted my car I paid for 4 litres and he gave me a litre back to keep for resprays/stonechips/etc

Still, you must have saved a few quid doing it yourself. If the end result is good then :respekt: to you.

not doing it wrong Jake - doing it right! - a lot of it is on the garage floor!

its about 4 litres of paint, made up with activator/hardner and thinners to around 12 ish

its the only way to do it well, build up the thickness, and polish it away..it truly is like glass. i work for Renault, and it amuses me that my car has a better shine than the brand new delivery mileage cars i sell!!

the paint job me and my dad have done would cost around 5 or 6k for all the time that went into it......it cost £260 in paint and materials and 3 weeks of preparation, spraying and polishing...still 2 or 3 days left to go now!