The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Elephant insurance renewal time!

francis

Right well it's time for me to renew my insurance on the supe (UK TT6, 22yrs old), I got my renewal from Elephant which was quite a bit more than expected at £2100 for a 10 monther. Did another quote online using a different name and a house number a few doors down but otherwise the same details (with the 1yrs NCB I will have when the current policy expires) and it came to £1200!

What's the deal with this and what's the best way to get my own quote down to £1200 - I know it says to call them up, but if anyone's got any good advice before I do then that'd be great!

Cheers,

Francis

Elephant are hopeless - although cheap I won't be renewing with them. I moved a mile up the road into a 'posher' area and my Supra went from being outside in an allocated parking space to a locked garage overnight. Made no difference. That cannot be right.

BTW, check exactly what you're paying for with them as well. I chopped about £80 off mine by cancelling stuff like the breakdown cover (I'm with the AA) and some other cobblers they had tacked on without my agreement.

Why not try Sky, the club's insurers? There's a thread somewhere.

Have you got a 10 month policy with them at the moment? I had a 10 month policy with Diamond and lost a years NCB because when I changed company they wouldn't say I had a full years NCB, and no company would recognise the 10 months.

All I'm saying is be careful if you try and leave Elephant as you may lose some NCB unfairly.

Will ring them up later and give them a good grilling, I was expecting something in the region of £1600, but £1200 as a new quote and £2100 as a renewal is rediculous. I tried to run through a quote with Tesco's but they couldn't complete it online :(

I left elephant, with a letter saying I had 4 years no claims after a 10 month policy.

I was insured with them on a partners car, then bought my own and wanted to take out my own policy.

They gave me one years NCB as a intro bonus, then 2 years instant NCB because I had been a named driver on a claim free partners policy for 2 years, so when I finished my 10 month policy they gave me a letter which said I ended my policy with 4 years no claims.

Letter said nothing about a 10 month policy, niether should yours

I just left Elephant for Sky. Francis, be carefull on which model they are quoting you on. To me it sounds like your telephone quote is for a MKIV while possibly your online one is for a MKIII. They did the same with me when i went with them. They seem to find it VERY difficult to be able to tell the cars appart.

I've just gone with elephant £776.00 full com, when I got a quote online it was £826 when I phoned up the next day it dropped to £776, also did a quote with quote me happy put all the details in quoted £946 pressed requote didn't change anything and it dropped £926, talk about make it up as you go along!

They do this with every1, they say its because you get a first year discount and sometimes the renewal can be more expensive than the first year. Just everytime you renew get a new quote off them and they will match it on ur renewal. They just make money on the lazy people who renew whatever the price.

Right well it's time for me to renew my insurance on the supe (UK TT6, 22yrs old), I got my renewal from Elephant which was quite a bit more than expected at £2100 for a 10 monther. Did another quote online using a different name and a house number a few doors down but otherwise the same details (with the 1yrs NCB I will have when the current policy expires) and it came to £1200!

What's the deal with this and what's the best way to get my own quote down to £1200 - I know it says to call them up, but if anyone's got any good advice before I do then that'd be great!

Cheers,

Francis

They do this with every1, they say its because you get a first year discount and sometimes the renewal can be more expensive than the first year. Just everytime you renew get a new quote off them and they will match it on ur renewal. They just make money on the lazy people who renew whatever the price.

Feakins is wearing the coat of correctness

Guest davidwilce

Don't be afraid to switch insurance companies.

I've often found that when you switch to a new one they try and give you the best deal they can. Where as, once you've been with them for a while they don't care and give you a rubbish renewal quote.

I'm currently with Admiral, because they were cheapest by over £100. But I get the feeling they ain't gonna be too hot when it comes to renewal time.

The reason your quote is now £2100, is because your original quote a year ago will of been an introductory offer.

Admiral own elephant.

Ensure you don't have aa cover e.t.c as previously mentioned, i told them i already had it and when my paperwork came through i'd paid £80 for it and had to cancel it and get my money back!!!

you can get moneyback for moving to a nicer area... im moving house on friday and therefore rung elephant yesterday, they informed me i was getting £136 rebate, even though it's gone from being currently garaged to being parked on a drive!