The mkiv Supra Owners Club

European Breakdown Cover

Guest SSS

What company does everyone use for breakdown cover when driving abroard? I was just looking at the AA but the policy states no cars older than 11 years (mines a 93 :innocent: , so no good!).

Was thinking of going for an anual policy as chances are I will be driving to Germany for the world cup next year :clap: (drove to Portugal last year for the Euros, not in the Soop though).

So, any recomendations of companies and what prices to expect would be great. Cheers. :thumbs:

We're with Norwich Union Breakdown. RAC are now owned by Norwich Union and so will probably offer a similar product.

Got personal cover so we can drive any of the cars abroad. Not cheap, but alot cheaper than getting recovered at your own expense!

While we're talking about driving abroad, check your insurance before you go too. When they sell you a policy they'll tell you all the guff about 'up to 30 days cover in mainland Europe' etc. etc.

However, if you look at the small print, this is for the MINIMUM cover required by the country in which you are driving at the time of needing to make any claim. Normally, (like the UK) this is 3rd party only. If you want your fully comp insurance to be extended to cover you in Europe, you have to ask for it and pay an extra premium. Doesn't usually amount to much, for me it was an extra £22 a year or something like that.

Only became aware of this when I took some exams earlier this year for the Chartered Institute of Insurers. Checked with my insurer and sure enough I had gone to Le Mans in 2003/2004 without fully comp insurance!!!

:(

For such a small premium, I would have thought it was worth them telling us more about this.

Just called Norwich Union for a quote.

Rescue and Recovery including europe and 2 months cover free (total 14 months) was £172.89.

How does that sound?

I got the same from NU for £120 ish?

Hmmm? Roadside recovery to home - no home start + Eurocover...

Hmmm, strange. What model and year did you get a quote for? I wonder if the age (93) makes much difference?

Europe Assist were doing cover for upto 4 cars for £80, anywhere in UK or abroad (including your home address).

Gaz.

I can't find a website for Europe Assist. Does anyone know it or a phone number for them?

Cheers for the help so far... :thumbs:

AA DO COVER 1993 CARS ABROAD!!! I've just returned from France and the AA covered me for 5 days at a cost of £72. I think it cost £32 supplement due to my car being over 11 y.o. The cover is quite good though, will give a courtesy car, pay for hotels, return flights e.t.c. luckily didn't need it but it's peace of mind!!!

We're with Britannia Rescue (through the CSMA) and get full Euro cover for about £77 - for the two of us... :)

My quote with them for delux cover (including europe) was £119.40! How comes everyone else seems to get cheaper quotes!! :violin: