The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is best for the supra?

redsupratt6spd

Ok i'm stuck on getting wheels for my car there's just too many out there. But I did think I wanted 18" but my mate now says he can get 19" wheels at a good price. I'm stuck now between 18" or 19" wheels for the supra what do people think are the best wheels to go for. Likes of handling, performance etc.. :shrug:

Thanks J

Handling is best on 17s, 18s at the most. 19s and the handling will be crap but car will look nice :D

Yeah that's what i'm worried about,i'm running 17" at the min but they're in bad condition and the rears don't even match the front lol. Think the guy in japan was a boy racer. So you recomend 18" then? My mate can get me 19" with a fat dish for £600 just makes things hard now.

Depends what you're after mate, i've driven it on 17s and 18s, apart from tram lining, didn't notice too much differance but i never tracked the car. People e.g. TRD3000GTs are runnin singles on 19s, maybe they could say how they find the handling?

Think Chris Wilson says stock 17s or Lexus alloys are the only wheels he'd put on a supra if handling was primary

EDIT: this has come a few times before i think, someone might know of a thread to look at, or could try a search etc

Depends what you're after mate, i've driven it on 17s and 18s, apart from tram lining, didn't notice too much differance but i never tracked the car. People e.g. TRD3000GTs are runnin singles on 19s, maybe they could say how they find the handling?

Think Chris Wilson says stock 17s or Lexus alloys are the only wheels he'd put on a supra if handling was primary

Yeah Chris says lexus rims are the ticket but I like a rim with a bit of a lip. What size do you run your self?

i'm runnin 18" Racing Harts, think theyre 8.5 on the front and 9.5s on the rear. I'm not even BPU though, i find the handling fine and i drive like a loon (prefer corners rather than drag strips). Like you, i also want them to look good and i'll be after 19s probably deeper dish etc. For street drivin, i wouldn't want to push the car that hard that often etc for the differances to become that critical - that's my own personal view though. If it helps, the Envy supra runs 18s, 11" rears (i think, one of the Envy boys will confirm) and 960 odd horsepower etc, that handles ok too

i'm runnin 18" Racing Harts, think theyre 8.5 on the front and 9.5s on the rear. I'm not even BPU though, i find the handling fine and i drive like a loon (prefer corners rather than drag strips). Like you, i also want them to look good and i'll be after 19s probably deeper dish etc. For street drivin, i wouldn't want to push the car that hard that often etc

Yes mate same here like my wee street races from time to time. Well looks like the 18" rims it is then just didn't want to lose any of the power or handling etc..

Cheers bud J

If I may.....

I prefer the car on 17 inch rims as that allows a stock tyre profile. If you insist on 18 inch I prefer the lexus OE multispoke rims, they are the correct offset, correct spigot hole diameter, forged alloy, and the very best quality, with a reasonable weight. I don't know, nor do i want to know about cars on 19 inch or even bigger.

everybody says 19's are bad. I have 19's on mine, and I'd say it has seriously accelerated the wear on my Shocks (OSR replaced twice in a year), and either bushes or drop links (drop links due to arrive soon..bushes a bit later. My car feels knackered but I don't know whether it's bushes or drop links yet).

However, when those parts weren't knackered, it felt fine and seemed to handle okay in day to day driving, but then I guess that's not what you lot are referring to when you say it affects handling?

IMO though, I think 19's were a mistake. The JUN 200MPH car looks superb on 17's, and some of the sexiest Supras I have ever seen (on t'internet) rode on 18's. I think if the ride height is right, then 19's don't look any better.

mine is not bad...

Ive been thought the lot.. 17" 18" and now my 19's

They tram line a bit but thats a lot to do with th width of them.. Im running what most of you put on the back up front 265's and 11 inch 315's on the rear..

The ride feels great and VERY tight when going fast on motorways and the grip when accelerating hard is pretty unbeatable... Also they look realy nice.

The bad things about 19's would be .. cost of tyres, very low tyre profiles which can lead to a HARD ride.. Not the case in mine, Tramlining, VERY easy to damage on bad road surfaces.

:thanks:

mine is not bad...

Ive been thought the lot.. 17" 18" and now my 19's

They tram line a bit but thats a lot to do with th width of them.. Im running what most of you put on the back up front 265's and 11 inch 315's on the rear..

The ride feels great and VERY tight when going fast on motorways and the grip when accelerating hard is pretty unbeatable... Also they look realy nice.

The bad things about 19's would be .. cost of tyres, very low tyre profiles which can lead to a HARD ride.. Not the case in mine, Tramlining, VERY easy to damage on bad road surfaces.

:thanks:

They're some size of tryes you're running bet it looks fat as at the back :respekt: So maybe 18" then the happy medium choice