The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do i stop my brakes rattleing

neilg

Was bronze grease used when refitting the pads and shim kit? What pads do you have and when does the squeal occur?
Bronze? You flash git! I make do with copper grease.

Does it really help with rattling? I thought that stuff was just for squealing, no?

do you have the spring clip which fastens onto the two pins, this stops the rattle ?

Agreed Richard.

Post a photo of the backs of the front and rear calipers, we can say if the clips are missing. Sometimes people have to drill the pad pins out and end up with VERY oversize holes, in which case the anti rattle clips are a must!

Those things on the picture look pretty good to me, what about the clips that are next to the circled ones, the bent wire looking ones ( technical explanations only here) :D Are they different on each side or just order 2 the same?

is that the full part number i order?

Ill also take some pictures if i can tomorrow

The wire clips , same on both side are there to stop the pins from coming out.

There's a small hole through the end of each pin, it's fitted as shown in the pic with the middle bit being located in the hole in the caliper.

Surely these bits aren't missing?

I've got the part numbers but they're only listed for a Aug 94 car onwards, there isn't a listing for a 93 car!

Anti-rattle spring 47748-14080 (As shown in pic above)

Clip 90468-12021 (These hold the pins in)

All the above are sold in pairs.

Mine clunks like a bastard very often, and is particularly noticable at low speed, very light braking. Any ideas what that could be? It actually sounds like the caliper moving and banging against the nuts, but that's unlikely since everything is done up very tight.

Mine clunks like a bastard very often, and is particularly noticable at low speed, very light braking. Any ideas what that could be? It actually sounds like the caliper moving and banging against the nuts, but that's unlikely since everything is done up very tight.

I had the same, when I replaced the stabiliser bar links and then went out for a drive I thought it had gone away but it came back.

I've just finished painting the calipers, I took them off and then refitted them.

The clunking sound appears to have gone, I'm not convinced it was the brakes as I just put them back together the same way.

I don't think I drove the car after doing the links and then the brakes.

Did my best to get it to make that noise last week but it wasn't there.

I had the same, when I replaced the stabiliser bar links and then went out for a drive I thought it had gone away but it came back.

I've just finished painting the calipers, I took them off and then refitted them.

The clunking sound appears to have gone, I'm not convinced it was the brakes as I just put them back together the same way.

I don't think I drove the car after doing the links and then the brakes.

Did my best to get it to make that noise last week but it wasn't there.

I assure you it'll be back. If I remove my calipers and refit them, it goes away for a few days but always returns :(

No i mean the clips that hold the pins it, isnt it the thing at the back of the caliper? I know i dont have the anti rattle ones in, thats why im going mad :cry:

Yes, you've got them! :)

You definately don't have the anti-rattle springs?

Hope the pins come out okay, you're calipers look in good condition though.

I couldn't knock all the pins out on mine, had to drill two of them out.

Corrosion can be a problem.