The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supporting mods

GeordieSteve

All this single talk got me worrying. I'm currently bolting on a SP63 single turbo. The set up I'll be using is:

1 Walbro fuel pump

650cc injectors

Vielside exhaust

Double de-cat

Greddy 2 row IC

S-AFCII

Cams & Gears

Uprated brakes

Boost controller (single solinoid)

Will there be anything else I need or you could recommend? I know the boost controller will need to go but what about the injectors? Another fuel pump? AFR? Gauges? Autobox?

Cheers folks

Guest Terry S

OK Steve, just a heads up BL dropped the 63 turbo from their line up due to surge issues, although a lot of the US guys seem fine with it.

Ignition timing, it would be nice to have a way to alter this.

Guest Terry S
Can't you get anti-surge housing for them? Might be a good idea eh?

Very much doubt it, the SP Turbos are just PTE turbos rebadged. What size exhaust AR is it using.

Guest Terry S
Haven't made the choice yet. .81/.96?

OK the bigger the Exhaust AR the less likelyhood of surge, but the more lag. SP dont always get their turbo specs right, I had an absolute dog of a turbo from them.

Hope that helps.

Guest Terry S
Yeah I was thinking .96 AR. Don't think they're a very laggy turbo anyway are they?

It will probably be as laggy as a T67 P trim with that sized AR on it mate.

Steve,

On an auto with a stock TC I'd go for a T61 DBB. A T61 will run 1.4bar and supply about 550HP at the crank on pump fuel. It will also fully spool by about 3000rpm. A stock TC will power brake to 2-2200rpm by this time a DBB T61 will be spinning nicely for a rapid getaway, very similar to a stock 1st turbo. But then as soon as you've launched you'd get upto boost far faster than using the stockers and will easily out drag your old setup.

Using a 63 is A) opening yourself upto surge B) adding lag which I'm betting you'll feel no benefit for.

I'd focus on getting a turbo that will work with your transmissions capabilities. T61's are capable of running low 11/high 10's.

Guest Terry S
hmmmmm very confusing :S Whats the capabilities of the SP63? Lag isn't a GREAT worry of mine due to the fact I always stick to the speed limits anyway unless I was on the track

Then use a 67 P trim. You really need to define what you want from the car. Any single will seem laggy with a stock torque convertor.

Ok I don't mind a bit of lag (I don't want to be sitting there all day tho waiting for some sort of power). Hi-Stall is a possibility without a doubt. I use the car for work during the summer but I always potter along at the speed limits. If I intend on putting my boot down... it's on a long straight

Guest Terry S

Then as I said in the PM's a 67 P trim, but with a stock TC it will seem laggy below 3500. Send Ian C a PM as he has tuned a car with a stock auto box and a T67P to get his impressions.

Apart from that I really dont know what to suggest.... T61 will make boost quicker, T63 can surge, etc etc......