The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not sure what to do

HJM

Hi, just joined tonight as I was a soon to be new owner of a 94 Supra n/a.

However, I have just HPI'd it and it is recorded as a Category D Insurance Loss :thumbdown

Does anyone know what this should mean to the price? Would you buy it or walk away ?

Cant remember the order of categories???? A - minor tp D - Serious?? or other way round???

You will probably come across all sorts of difficulties like insurance, value, unseen faults, bent things etc.....Def walk away if its the bad category, if its not.... it wouldnt put me off at all...

It's probably not as bad as it sounds.

Cat D is light damage that makes the car uneconomical, in the eyes of the insurance company, to repair.

The Supra is getting on a bit in years, the same damage when it was new, would have been repaired and not listed.

Judge each car on its merits, look at it carefully, if you can't see signs of repairs, then its probably OK.

All IMHO, of course :D

I'm a salvage dealer......Shall i rant on?? Cat A is a total loss. Vehicle must be disposed of. Cat B is also a total loss, vehicle can be used for spares only. Cat C is damaged beyond economical repair using new genuine parts, usually structual damage, and can be put back on the road but will require a 'vic' check and re-issue of log book. Cat D, means the vehicle has had minor damage (not structual) and has had a claim through an insurance company. Cat d re-sale loss is around a quarter of market value. Most have been repaired well, but look very closely and find out where the damage was. My car is a cat d, but where else would you get a 94 twin turbo aerotop, 40000 miles, minor scuff on front corner........£3000. And living proof......

small.jpg

Thanks for all the replys guys - this is the spec :-

94 L Manual 58k miles

Full bodykit, SS back box, HKS induction

New light units front & rear

18in deep dish alloys

Full Black leather

Excellent condition

£6,200

It looks fantastic and drove really well - it was exactly what I was looking for - but don't want to buy it and find I can't ever sell it !!

Anyone want to hazard a guess what, if anything, I should pay for it?? Have to say, my instinct is to run far, far away from it - but it's shiny and I like it :shrug:

:thanks:

ps - anyone selling one with the above spec :D

Welcome to the club m8!

Agree with Jezzy on both counts!! Cat D is nothing to worry about as long as the price is right. I had a cat d car a while ago, and sold it on ok, but..... that was inly because the silly fool didn't check up on it! (I only found out it was a cat d AFTER i bought it btw!) :eek: :read:

You can find better, and cheaper m8, keep looking, and the one thats meant to be yours, will eventually make herself known to you! Check the cars for sale on here. All owned by proper enthusiasts, and all well worth the money! :rtfm:

I just picked my N reg supra tt 6spd sat which I paid 6800 from a guy selling on this site and it's great condition just needs some TLC, they are out there you just have to keep looking, I personal wouldn't buy a recorded one due to the fact you've got to resale the car in a few years and it's more hassle then it worth, it's all good now but you got to think long term!

Main reason i bought mine knowing it was cat d, is because i bought it direct from the insurance company. That way, i had it in its damaged state, and could assess the repair work accordingly, and i knew that i was going to throw big bucks at modding, so selling it later on is at the very back of my mind! Gonna be a good few years yet. For the minor cosmetic work it needed, it was a steal!! And its a peach. The few on the forum that have seen it, i'm sure would agree!

Main reason i bought mine knowing it was cat d, is because i bought it direct from the insurance company. That way, i had it in its damaged state, and could assess the repair work accordingly, and i knew that i was going to throw big bucks at modding, so selling it later on is at the very back of my mind! Gonna be a good few years yet. For the minor cosmetic work it needed, it was a steal!! And its a peach. The few on the forum that have seen it, i'm sure would agree!

Yeah and the next one like it you get for that price I'll have off you. :tongue:

Plus, what, 10% commission seems fair... :eyebrows:

Yeah and the next one like it you get for that price I'll have off you. :tongue:

Plus, what, 10% commission seems fair... :eyebrows:

John, you know the silver n/a in my yard thats been completely raped of parts........£600! And it was a cat d! I remember when i picked it up. It looked so sad. Someone had nicked its lights and wheels. :( Shame really, would've made a nice car. If you do ever want a cheapy, let me know!

As said before thats way too much for an NA, let alone a Cat D. I wouldn't pay more than £2.5k for a cat D NA and I'd expect to lose money on it. Theres no way its worth over £3k. You can get TT auto's from the auctions at not a lot more than £4k (they may be "dog's" but at least they're not on the vcar)