The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Turbo Solution??

MaveriK

Put this into MikeyH's thread but i guess it really needs its own.

I know this is going to open that old can of beans and for that i am sorry. I have spoken to TBourner, Paul at Miami-GT and Simon Norris at Norris Designs already about this but i am a believer that you cant have enough info. My tubbies dont smoke during normal operation or during startup but during highboost/thrashing (which i rarely do obviously!) or during afterrun (or whatever the clever people call it) they smoke but not enough for me to see it from the drivers seat. So, they are on the way out and its only a matter of time before they go bang bang.

My options as i see it are as follows :-

a) replace with scrappers and run the risc of them going bang far too soon £1000.

b) Go new hybrids £1800.

c) Go single £take out 2nd mortgage.

d) Get 2nd hand hybrids of decent quality, get them refurbed and installed £1400.

What are peoples thoughts on the subject??

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My options as i see it are as follows :-

a) replace with scrappers and run the risc of them going bang far too soon £1000.

b) Go new hybrids £1800.

c) Go single £take out 2nd mortgage.

d) Get 2nd hand hybrids of decent quality, get them refurbed and installed £1400.

What are peoples thoughts on the subject??

Or buy all this which DONT need refurbing ... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=45095 ;)

I wouldn't go single on a tight budget, not worth the risks, only if you have lots of money can you afford to fix all the problems you WILL get.

Standard tubbies you can get for £300 I should think in reasonable condition, still gonna nead TLC as usual though.

Hybrids seem real world enough for me, and you can get them for less than £1000 easily enough (see Boneys thread!), so it's not that much more than stockers.

Places will charge the same for fitting a single as twins (I know of at least one that quoted the same price for both :) ). If you've got a few grand saved somewhere and don't mind cutting into it then go single and don't scrimp on the parts - otherwise do hybrids and stay with a soft map for now (1 Bar or so).

NB: Nice to hear my name in the same sentence as Miami-GT and Simon Norris!!! :D

I wouldn't go single on a tight budget, not worth the risks

What risks?

A realistic price assuming doing the work yourself is around £2500. Thats a Vortex budget kit, AEM wideband and E-Manage (fitted) and various odds and ends.

You could save the £300 for the AEM and spend that getting it mapped if you dont fancy that.

How many were running then?

TBH Terry I cant remember, it was all down to driver skills anyway ;) :D . Singles are a lot more responsive (thats why Im getting one fitted), but it is all down to money, and the amount of gear Im selling for the money Im charging cant be matched by a single conversion. Especially when he's gonner have to pay a bloke to fit it all aswell.

Guest Terry S
TBH Terry I cant remember, it was all down to driver skills anyway ;) :D . Singles are a lot more responsive (thats why Im getting one fitted), but it is all down to money, and the amount of gear Im selling for the money Im charging cant be matched by a single conversion. Especially when he's gonner have to pay a bloke to fit it all aswell.

Think JohnK already covered that well. Enjoy your single though mate, when done correctly they can be awesome:thumbs:

So why do hybrids have to be kept at 1 bar when the stockers will go to 1.2? (for the technically dense like myself)

They don't.

I'm basing my posts on the assumption that this was an un-intentional and un-expected event and that there isn't £3k spare to spend on the car, the best 'real world' solution not taking into account wanting to 'beat' every other car in sight is hybrids, you still get a funky fast car and much stronger turbos, if you stick to 1Bar then there's no need for an e-manage or any kind of fuel management, just the usual BPU additions, so therefore a nice cheap and still fast runabout, you can increase to 1.2bar if you like, or 1.3 or 1.4 but then you'll be needing boost controllers and fuel maps which cost MONEY!!!

There've been numerous threads about singles and mapping, the mapping goes for high boost hybrids as well, so 1-1.2 bar is a good choice in the short term at least.

Singles are all well and good but the every day bloke who's just blown a turbo can't afford to do it, no matter how cheap people claim them to be.

Maverick

Iv'e done the standard turbo's to hybrids route before the single turbo was a realistic option and TBH, never gained anything worth while over the standard one's. The only thing I got was more lag and a 600 pound bill for getting them fixed again after 6 months. This may well have been due to poor fitting, but then again....

If I had the choice all over again I'd spend my £1500 plus fitting on a small single, (BL61) kit or similar. For the extra you will spend in cash you'll no doubt feel it was money well spent.

If you go for hybrids you still need to keep an eye on the engine temps, boost and fuel to make the most of them so why not spash out on a single instead :thumbs:

Iv'e done the standard turbo's to hybrids route before the single turbo was a realistic option and TBH, never gained anything worth while over the standard one's.

Well if you cant feel the difference between a 326bhp car and a 500bhp car then theres something wrong with the way you drive :rolleyes: . There is more lag though I have to admit, but when it kicks in theres no way it compares to standard.