The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi owners - Cruise control help!

Matt Harwood

hahahaha, you ever seen the way I drive....

Ewen, in all honesty the system would work, I've looked at all the wiring diagrams, and while it is basic, it would in theory work...

But who needs cruise control, actually who needs ABS, Traction Control or Airbags.... took em all out..

Gav

Hi Matt,

For the 93.5-97 the air bag plug is identical.

The cruise control plug is not affected.

93.5-97 Use the 98 cruise switch #84630-14130

To install the cruise switch.

A] Locate and dremel the identical square hole on the right side of the strg wheel housing.[the size of the felt square gasket 1.5"x1.5"]

B]Remove the cruise switch {2 screws} and the felt gasket for the hole.[off old wheel]

c] Hot glue the felt gasket to the opening of the hole you just cut.

D] Install the cruise switch by the top screw only,bottom one leave off.{no place to put it}

E] On the TRD air bag remove the white plastic cover that holds the plug in place.{don't need}

F] Install the stg wheel on car and tighten nut,plug in cruise control switch and ground wire for horn.

G] Plug in the air bag connector and install air bag{3screws}

H] The yellow air bag wire has enough slack so that you can move it off to the upper left side of the housing. The air bag is a tight fit so that when its installed,the back of the housing is resting on top of the cruise switch.This keeps the switch in place and won't move,even though its only held in by one screw.

Gaz.

If that's the correct part number Gaz, I owe you a big girlie kiss... :ecstatic:

I just need to find someone to give it to you!

on the 93-95 cars the cruise throttle linkage is there so there is a primary linkage and a secondary. On the VVTi I have never seen the secondary linkage and never seen a VVTi with cruise. Im not sure it was even an option (especially as the second linkage just isnt there).

JB

yup down...if u want more 'car brain power' to be used it drains your batt which is effectively supplied by the fuel in your tank. just like engaging the air con - also lowers economy - just watch your rev needle drop slightly when you switch a/c on and also listen to the engine sound.

Actually, it's a well known fact that correct use of cruise control can increase fuel economy as it will only use as much fuel as required. It won't add too much throttle to compensate for a gradient, then back off when it realises it's going to fast.

As for drawing too much current, I'm sure a 100a alternator can more than adequatly supply enough power for the milliamp drain the Cruise ECU will draw, or the couple of amps required by the little stepper motor as it needs to pull the throttle cable.

I do agree that using air-con will decrease fuel economy because the compressor puts a fairly large load directly on the engine. But I wouldn't say it had anything to do with current draw unless the battery was totally shagged too.

no no actually cruise is only good for people with questionnable throttle control (i.e. the ones on the motorway who keep going from 85-90-85-90mph) and even then only on flat roads cos hilly roads cause the car to accelerate faster than a regular person would in order to maintain a set speed. so kinda agree that using it selectively works, but even then only for those not good enough with their feet.

• 5 years later...