The mkiv Supra Owners Club

civilisation

JohnA

There are 8 intercepts I have to make.

No way would I risk it upside down like a cockroach, hacking brittle OEM wires with trembling hands and sweat dripping onto the soldered joints.

No crimps, no bull. Everything soldered properly, on the bench, with heatshrink tube on top.

If you want to amend something, just unplug the loom and take the gizmos with it. No probs, no questions of reliability later on.

I may need more down the line, if I have to tap into VSVs or sensors.

I did it kneeling down once, with the FCD and hated every minute of it. Couldn't even tap to the ground safely, so I cheated and used a chassis ground.

Never again.

Totally agree.

Everybody should have the option of getting their hands on one.

The difference in practicality and reliability must be immense.

Personally, I loathe automotive electrics, I hate their guts. Fiddly with the fingers, you need to be good with yoga, there is never enough wire in the stock looms for 'improvements', I hate it from within the depths of my soul :swear:

Space is so confined that you can't use an electric soldering iron without burning yourself and everything around, I've also got a propane nice soldering iron, not much better in practice: it still burns through everything else if you slip or are just careless.

There, I've said it. :ecstatic:

Think the problem with the fields harness is that you have to buy the damn plugs in bulk....so you have to make 50 at a time or something silly like that....otherwise I'm sure you'd see more home made ones.

Alex, happen to know where to get the plugs? I know manufacturers here that could whiz these up.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/stuff/ECU_harness_used.jpg

...so much about civilisation, it looks like a bloody mess already :looney: :scare:

Oh well...

What in gods name have you done to it!?!?! Looks :scare: now!!

I like the inital idea of these, but once you have wired one thing into it, and fixed all the wiring into the car, then it sort of becomes a little useless unless you take all of the wiring for your other items with it.

What in gods name have you done to it!?!?! Looks :scare: now!!

Once you start splicing and cutting what do you expect?

At least everything can be done on the bench, where you have proper lighting, all your tools available, and you can turn the thing around however you like.

You can verify all connections with the multimeter too.

Mine looks funny because I use thicker core wires, I don't trust tiny thin ones to survive the attack of the soldering iron. I've also got large, garish labels attached, you can never be too careful.

once you have wired one thing into it, and fixed all the wiring into the car, then it sort of becomes a little useless unless you take all of the wiring for your other items with it.

I like soldered joins, ones that I've done myself. Anything else is liable to create problems later on, funny electrical gremlins that you can never pin down.

The idea is that if I want to do any changes, the whole harness will come out, along with the attached gizmos.

You planning to run 240 volts trough that wire ...Damm that is some big ass cable there. :read:

Yep, it's thick alrighty. :woot:

These are all extensions to the standard loom, so the lower the extra resistance the better (methinks). Plus they are more robust mechanically.

Overengineered.http://www.max-boost.co.uk/stuff/timallen.jpg