The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Traction,Standard vs uprated suspension

stt

I find that with my supra which is running yellow billies with 255 front and 265 rears that it feels a little unsure when cornering at speed,I was wondering if the back end has more of a tendency to swing easier with uprated suspension

than standard as uprated is more likely to load the tyres up when cornering

generally if you follow the points below it should give you an idea of what suspension will do on handling :

Good points

Stiffer suspension - less body roll in coners = more equal pressure on all 4 wheels = better use of tyre tread = better grip in the corners.

Lowering suspension - lower centre of grvity = less body roll in corners = more euqalised pressure on all 4 tyres = better corner grip

Both the above result in less feint motion or otherwise known as body roll momentum... the weight acting about the centre of gravity as a 2nd moment of inertia.

Bad points

Stiffer suspension = much sharper line of grip limit in the wet = generally results in a slower car through the corners than a soft set up.

Impracticality of speed bumps and other varying terrain on lowered car, more chance of hittin debris on motorways etc. etc.

If you're not planning on running your car on the track then a suspension upgrade will not help you much, unless its just the looks of a lowered car you are going for.

If you are planning on going on track then a nicely setup suspension will help out wonders.

My UK-spec suspension is good for the road... nice comfort with the right amount of stiffness for road speed corners. But when I went to the Nurburgring a few months ago the limits of the stock suspension showed itself and I'll be planning to stiffen up mine before next summer.

I've got yellow billies too, they're great so far. I heard that they're progressive dampers, which get harder the more active you get. Does this mean that they're soft when cruising? I don't have the evidence to back this, so can someone enlighten us on this setup?

:thanks: