The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ultimate club car or civil war ?

Ewen

just a daydream I want to share....anyone ever though of a Club Supra ? Owned by thousands, figureheading the club - sponsored by as many members as interested, linked suppliers / tuning shops / importers / magazines etc etc - built from bare shell up with one single purpose, to be the 'face and voice' of the Club at drags / shows etc etc - build itself could be long running forum feature, polls could be taken on issues like wheels / paint job / graphics (comps in photoshop ??) / styling etc and forum debates could tackle which direction to go down ref power mods etc - no prisoners taken, it could be the ultimate showcase for several companies / tuners as a full-metal jacket non road legal monster, and it would have the Club plastered all over it - could even, with sufficient interest and funding be a test bed for new / exotic gear, in the same way F1 is the hi-profile test bed for future gen stuff........first glance may be a logistic nightmare, but with the established expertise / following this club has, not totally stupid ?

This might even present an opportunity to create a "Haynes" style workshop manual type thingummy alongside the build, for those, ahemm "Less mechanically talented" members like me, I know I'd buy one.

Sounds like a good idea in principal, I guess the difficulty might be in getting the cash to carry out a project like this.

just my two pennerth

Mike

'cash' depends on planning organisation and interest....voluntary contibutions from 3,300 members @ £10 each (less disinterest) plus sponsorship, minus 'spare-time' and facility contributions sort of thing....trick would be keeping up the interest, progress reports / pics / polls along the way....

you mean something like - concieved by commitee, designed by commitee, built by commitee and wound up by comittee ? We all know the BMW 750 was applauded sanctioned by a commitee of a hundred suits, but they all worked for Mercedes and Audi....we all sing off the same sheet, 'ish.....

well best person for the job really, Monkey Mark could use it on the 1/4 mile, CW on a track....

The suggestion is fraught with issues but Im thinking about how it would work...

JB

I'll supply parts at cost, bagsy I get to drive it to meets when I'm back there :ecstatic:

obviously a few logistical problems.....dont forget the main aim tho, a club owned stripped-down exocet of a Supe, built for one purpose only....that fact alone would narrow the specc options considerably, ie, rear wing would have to actually do what its there for......front styling and engine bay layout would have to maximise cold air intake and minimise lift and drag etc etc...arguments over speccs / body kits etc could be reduced by having a considered shortlist and then a members poll...theres potentially as much mileage for the club in the project development as there would be in the finished product, which in theory would never be truly finished anyway, as no-one (I think) will have all the answers before its run a few times.....the thing I get hot about is that under the Supra skin we all know and love, you have a blank sheet of paper - whats the biggest killer for Supes on a strip, rear wheel grip - whats the pros and cons on a mid-engine layout ? - rear side windows become intakes, front end is free just to slice through the air - so on and so on...I for one would be happy to go with the majority on any of the spec / design issues, and it would be a bonus to be involved in some way with the styling

• 1 year later...