The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC - what do the % settings mean?

Aerotop Dave

I know I could just read the manual but...

I'm trying to make the RLTC writing a bit more user friendly, what do the 10%, 15% and 20% settings actually mean? There's Wet, Dry, and then the various percentages before we get to 'Off'. Do the percentages represent a decrease in the amount of traction control being applied or an increase?

I'm assuming the box goes from Wet (maximum control) all the way round to Off (none at all) through various degrees, but the percentages increase as you go towards off, so I'm confuddled. I would have expected the settings to be Wet > Dry > 20% > 15% > 10% > Off (ie, the amount of traction control (when expressed as a percentage) decreases and then goes off).

Is the facia just laid out in an unusual way?

m on about.JPG

20% for instance means: 20% wheels spin before power is started to be cut by the RLTC.

Wet and dry settings could have been given a percentage aswell, 0 & 5.

Wet is the very least wheelspin.

20% is the max wheelspin.

Oh right, I understand. Yeah, so using that Wet would be zero - doesn't allow any wheelspin whatsoever.

Thanks for that :thumbs:

It's the percentage difference in wheelspeed the RLTC 'sees' between the front and rear wheels.

IIRC, WET is either 3 or 5%. So if the car, (front wheels) are travelling at 100mph, and the rear starts spinning, the RLTC won't do anything until the rears reach 103mph, (or 105 as the case maybe).

That's why getting the correct wheel & tyre sizes are so important.

i have the RLTC software and the manual indicates all sorts of setups for speeds and diameters.

Wheelspin is not discrete, it is a continuous state, if it wasn't then controlled drifting would be impossible.

RLTC allows quite nice management of this, which is why is it so much better than a standard (poorly named!) traction "control" system.

R