The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My car is now SINGLE!

Clarkey

Just came back from Phoenix (Watford) after picking the car with a Vortex T61 Budget kit fitted.

Firstly - Big thanks to Mark @ Phoenix. He did an absolute top-notch very professional job. A pleasure to talk to & a pleasure to do business with. :thumbs: up guys!! :thanku:

Secondly, Big thanks to Terry, Matt & Miguel from Vortex for help sourcing supporting/replacement parts at affordable prices, answering my numerous PMs (LOL!) and phone calls and their patience with my not-so techie knowledge. Many thanks guys! :clap: :thanks:

Back in May .. I was getting blue smoke from the back of the car. This was later diagnosed as turbo-seals. After umm-ing and ahhh-ing .. between Hyrbids and Single .. I decided on the single.

The first thing you know notice just when just gently pulling away ... is the noise! It is sooo much more louder! Instead of the usual Brrroooom! when pulling away .. it's now a RoooooooooaaaarBrooooom. That's puts a smile on your face straight-away.

Then it's the lag ... The lag isn't as cumbersome as it might seem. Strangely enough around town - the car is very driveable. Get the car on a open road .. and then pulling the pin is when the fun begins!

Just been out in the car now, luckly the downpour of rain has subsided and is drying out abit. All I can say is WOW! I now see what everyone means .. that boost is very linear. It doesn't have the violent delivery of boost (from 0.8Bar ..then straight to 1.2Bar from decatted stockers) It just keeps going and going. I was in 6th doing 100 on a dual carridgeway. Didn't drop a gear just quick spurt of the throttle (not even 1/2) and was doing 130 in a few seconds. Completely wasted a BMW roadster that was up my bumper ... I didn't even drop a cog! :nyah: :ecstatic:

The external wastegate sounds like 200 BOV's going off ... which by the look of some of the drivers .. it's clearly audible from the outside. Which is another thing to put a smile on your face. Even boosting to 1Bar is clearly faster than my decatted stockers!

My car was outfitted with

T61 Budget kit

SAFC-2 (I have an S-ITC to accompany it - just got to fit it)

Flowtested & cleaned 550 injectors

Turbo Blanket

Resistor Pack

WB 02 AFR Gauge

A replacement SMIC .. because my original stock one was completed fcuked!

In conclusion - the car is like getting into your Supra for the very first time .. and you think "Feck me! This is fast!" The single has completely transformed the car into a meaner & a more raw machine. If anyone is in the unfortunate position where their stockers are dying ... then go single! I've driven a Hybrid TT .. and there's no comparison. If funds permit .. don't think ... do it!

any idea what power you should be producing its just that im seriously thinking about a loan as i need to go single :tongue:

Tbh .. I've no idea! Until I can get the car put on the rollers .. I've not got a clue. But comparing it to when my supe was BPU .... it feels sooooo much faster!

I've been reading a lot of 'Single' threads recently and getting very tempted.

Clarkey, you have pm.

My car occaisionally has the blue smoke issues which I think may be the seals and a single seems to be the obvious upgrade these days.

Branners, how is your car running, I was going through the mammoth 15 page thread just last night, did you get your car dynoed yet ?

:thumbs:

I've been reading a lot of 'Single' threads recently and getting very tempted.

Clarkey, you have pm.

My car occaisionally has the blue smoke issues which I think may be the seals and a single seems to be the obvious upgrade these days.

Branners, how is your car running, I was going through the mammoth 15 page thread just last night, did you get your car dynoed yet ?

:thumbs:

the car is still running fine, been running at about 1.1bar for a year now with no problems at all. Mapping hasnt been checked yet so I cant bring it up to the required 1.4bar. When I do I will make sure I let everybody know :)

JB

Thats what i like about this board,the tuners...Vortex...Envy...Phoneix...Miami...Chris w...etc etc....actually do help you out,and answer pm's and stuff.Theres a lot of brains too pick out there,from people who have been there done that and bought the t shirt.Yea yea i know brains might be going a bit far :D

Tbh .. I've no idea! Until I can get the car put on the rollers .. I've not got a clue. But comparing it to when my supe was BPU .... it feels sooooo much faster!

could'nt recommend Thor highly enough mate when you get it set up, ran mine at 1 bar before it was done, wait till you hit 1.4, the world is a blur

I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Terry set the S-AFC2 up so it's safe & running rich. The AFR's during cruising around etc is 14 to 15. On WOT it's about 11.

I don't have a Boost Controller or an Aero FPR - those are on my to-do list. As also get my S-ITC wired up too.

Do you think it's wise to get all the bits & pieces that I want .. then get it setup on the rollers ? Or get the car setup first now as it stands - I know this will mean 2 rolling road sessions.

I completely forgot to ask Mig & Terry this question .. DOH!

Do you think it's wise to get all the bits & pieces that I want .. then get it setup on the rollers ? Or get the car setup first now as it stands - I know this will mean 2 rolling road sessions.

well branners has been running his for a year and still hasnt had his mapped so you should be ok for a while

Guest Terry S

I would have Matt wire the S-ITC if I were you save two trips.

Boost controller, our converstation got me thinking yesterday, so I will let you know on that in a bit. For now 1.1-1.2 bar will feel quick so enjoy the car ;)

I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Terry set the S-AFC2 up so it's safe & running rich. The AFR's during cruising around etc is 14 to 15. On WOT it's about 11.

I don't have a Boost Controller or an Aero FPR - those are on my to-do list. As also get my S-ITC wired up too.