The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual Vs Auto Box

psymon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say the manual would be quicker just purely you have more control of rev range, a slightly quicker downshift compared to kickdown

Depends on how good a driver to be honest a few missed gears and auto be bout level with a laptime.

Ive always wondered, if you kick down in an auto come to corner, let off,little feathered throttle round the corner gradually building up the accerlaration. during the feathering period does it jump back up a gear instead of being in the lower gear?

whi

Guest chiefvinso
Take your car on against Chris Wilson in a stock auto box MkIV round a track and then spout all that usual tosh about auto's ;)

-Ian

Is he the STIG? :who:

Ok

Question is on a Track would there be much different in lap times between a manual 6sp and auto if they were identical cars..

Opinions ?

I reckon, Identical cars....good capable driver....manual will be quicker.

Is this a trick question...btw??? you havent got a video of tskuchiya & Horido going head to head in one of each ?

The manual is quicker - thats fact even according to the official figures just in a straight line, let alone around the track - less power loss, 6 gears not 4 => quicker. IMHO If it can save half a second on a single 1/4 run, it will save plenty more around a decent track because of the better car control it offers (better control using the throttle including engine braking etc).

Sure you need a driver capable of handling the manual box, that goes without saying. Capable driver = manual every time.

The manual is quicker - thats fact even according to the official figures just in a straight line, let alone around the track - less power loss, 6 gears not 4 => quicker. IMHO If it can save half a second on a single 1/4 run, it will save plenty more around a decent track because of the better car control it offers (better control using the throttle including engine braking etc).

I love the way manual drivers think we can't engine brake in the auto :)

Must be this time of the year again.....

That ole chestnut

lol yeah this "ol' chestnut" one must come up time and time again!

I guess for normal driving it mostly comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

I've also read that standard, the manual box is a touch stronger than the auto, handling another 50bhp or so before risking failures. I expect if you are building a racer both would need strengthening though anyway.

Auto = excellent for a daily driver, easier to drive quickly with less effort. Good for drag racing (although not using the standard auto box/torque converter)

Manual = might seem harder work initially, potentially quicker and more rewarding when you learn to get it right. Always potential for a "missed" gear change though.

One thing that definitely is true, that manual box sure makes some strange noises lol. I've grown to love it though, it gives it some character (at least thats what I tell myself anyway).

I don't know what the ratio is, but I think I'd be right in assuming that the majority of forum members have auto's. It took me a lot longer to find a decent manual 6 speed TT and I saw so many auto's whilst looking that I very nearly crumbled and went for an auto instead. I'm glad I stuck to my principles though now. At the end of the day, each to their own though, either way they are great cars :)