The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air Intake Ice Box

Eric Kasir

OK, I've read with great interest about the Icebox that JB is selling through Shop, has anyone had one of these fitted or meaningful test results after having one of these fitted. Basically, does it work?

I really do regret having my HKS induction kit fitted, I honestly wish I had left the standard airbox in there.

I know there are other options, eg if you have a FMIC then relocating the filter to the front bumper area, does this have any negative points associated with it? (ie filter gets filthy and clogged after a drive in the wet / snow).

Eric

Paul if the cone will fit in the unit you'll just need to make sure the pipe will go through into it and is sealed around the pipe.

I doubt whether my K&N would fit in the original air box but I don't have the original unit to test against.

Eric,

Relocating the filter to the air duct WILL make the intake more suseptable to dirt and water etc. So I would only really suggest this if you are a good weather Supra driver. My car is used everyday so I'm not sure if its applicable.

If you leave the induction where it is then the best thing you can do for it is get the Ice Box....

Here's an idea why don't they make a liquid nitrogen cooled intercooler...... or ICE Box.... That'll chill the air! And the rest of the car.

Terry Saunders has had one made up specifically for his car, he hasnt got any 'before and after' figures, but logic tells me that if you have underbonnet temperatures hot enough to melt the paint on my lovely cam cover then you really dont want to be sucking that through the air filter.

Seal that airfilter and feed it the same cold air as stock and it has to be better. If you can find a way of really ramming the air into the cool box then it will be even better.

JB

The stock air-box and filter is perfectly adequate for virtually anything anyone can throw at it with stock turbos. Problem is, it looks boring, it sounds boring, because it *is* boring.  

However, make an enclosure that looks like it was adapted from parts of a Russian spacecraft, call it an "ice box", and everyone suddenly begins crowding around wanting one. :)

Yours,

J

sounds like Ash isnt too impressed...

I would say that anything which avoids sucking the heat from the turbos back into the engine would be worthwhile, sticking the airfilter into the side air intake is ideal for sound and airflow, but not very practical on a car which might be used day in day out and never really checked over that often.

As Ash says, the stock airfilter is pretty good, Im still running mine but only because I dont want to remove what it probably the last restriction in my engine. If you want noise then fit an aftermarket filter, if you want to make the most of that filter give it as much cool air as it can take....

JB

Sorry, please don't get me wrong. It's just that I'm always very wary of *any* bolt-on gizmo. Some work, most don't... or at least seldom live up to the claims made for them.  

I had young Mark Ayling around yesterday morning, fitted an HKS air-filter for him. We had a good chuckle over the claims made on the packaging... all "super" this and "super" that. The whole thing was pure hype. Which is a pity IMO as the actual filter is quite good.

I don't know how much these "ice box" thingies cost, but maybe someone should try one with a before and after test. Personally, I really cannot say for sure as I've never tried one.

Whichever way you look at it, the ultimate place for the air-filter is in a situation where it can source plentiful amounts of air at ambient temperature. That's my yardstick, which led to the development of an uprated intake system that fulfilled such criteria.

Yours,

J  

Quote: from Phil Wall on 10:24 am on Aug. 11, 2001[br]Re the  MAX air thing

Lance has made him self a shield, not quite up to this one.

But I am sure he could adapt it to use stock intakes etc.

Yep sure have,and i wish i'd have kept the original air box,and then bought the induction kit,and fitted it inside the original but with no top on,

Coz ya gotta hear the sound!!

But although like phil so kindly pointed out....(cheeky sausauge) not quite up to this one!!

I have made a shield because what with a hot engine bay,and the fan blowing directly on to the induction kit,It can,t be good to be sucking in all that Hot air,So now at least i'm still getting ambient air from the front...going through my filter..

Lance....(smile-ling from new exhaust) :)

• 2 months later...

Surely if you take an induction kit and seal it up in a box . . . you're going to lose the cool noise which was the main reason for buying it?

What you basically end up with can be done by using the stock airbox, and a replacement panel filter from K&N or someone at a tenth of the price!  

Whilst the noise from the induction kit is great, the power loss isnt.

I have air temp (charge) sensors fitted before and after my FMIC. My induction kit is now fitted (last week) through the wing where the old intercooler was (similar to Ash mod) and the intake charge, turbo side of the intercooler is 50 degrees F cooler than with the induction kit fitted under the bonnet and is 20 degrees F cooler on the intake side (plenum). Also the sound is much better with the kit fitted in the wing.

I take the point about water ingress and not being regularly inspected, but if you are going to drive a supra or any car hard without regularly inspecting things you are asking for trouble whether or not the intake is standard or modified.

Mark Brown

Yep, I can highly reconmmend it too...

I drove my supra 60 miles in the worst standing water you

can imagine; when I got home I had a good feel of the filter

and it was surprisingly dry. Seems the pig ugly stock indicators

do a wonderful job of keeping the filter dry and free of muck.

Only thing id advise is, say once a month, remove the HKS element (easy) and wash in petrol; perhaps spraying with induction kit

dust repellent for good measure (must get some of this stuff!)