The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help- is the brake disc ment to shake?

ardasaliah

Guest chiefvinso
Changing pads today when I noticed that the disc felt loose when both pad were removed- I could shake it from side to side. The only thing stopping it from coming off was the brake calliper.

Is this normal?

See pic

Theres normally a screw that holds the disk on the hub, it looks like there is a small hole in around the bolt threads but like someone said once its locked down with the wheel its ok

whats the best way to move the brake pistons back to fit the thicker new pads. I would normally use a bit of soft thick wood- using the brake disc as a lever point- Cant do that now as its lose and moves

any tips

Never done this on the supra yet but I've always used G-clamps and little bits of wood to protect the caliper. You might struggle to have the space to do this if you leave the caliper on the car though.

Put a spacer on one of the studs, doesn't have to be a brilliant fit. Then put one of the wheel nuts back on - this will hold the disc in place.

The UK front brakes don't have any bolts holding the disc on, it's normal for the disc to be loose when you remove the pads.

With the pads removed, stick a piece of wood in to lever the pads back.

Or use a screwdriver , watch you don't damage the piston seals!

A G clamp works good aswell if you haven't any nice paint on the caliper.

Theres normally a screw that holds the disk on the hub, it looks like there is a small hole in around the bolt threads but like someone said once its locked down with the wheel its ok

That is for removing the disc if it gets seized - you screw a bolt into it and it frees the disc. It should not be used to hold the disc - they are held on by the wheel nuts as others have said.

To close the pistons down you can use a pair of big gorilla grip pliers (like the ones that plumbers use) use the old pads and a bit of strong cardboard between the caliper housing and the grip on the pliers. You'll have to do both sides a couple of times as the pistons on the opposite side tend to move closed a bit every time you squeeze the other side shut.

Guest chiefvinso
That is for removing the disc if it gets seized - you screw a bolt into it and it frees the disc. It should not be used to hold the disc - they are held on by the wheel nuts as others have said.

SORRY, from my memory now that I think harder this was for disks that had no studs to put onto - like my astra gte years ago or any car that has wheel studs. A little screw would allow the disk to line the holes up to the threads in the hub. MAYBE I'm wrong about that too? Not seeing the supra setup yet as I have still to get my car I shouldnt have commented. :stickpoke :drown: