The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uni chip

Suprasteve

just turned BPU running 1.2 bar on my 94 Jap spec.

I went with a friend of mine to get a remap done on his Evo 6 at WRC Technologies in Silverstone, now they didn't know too much about Supra engines but know shite loads about Scoobys and Evos.

After having a chat with them, i'm slightly concerned about the fueling on my car and potenially running lean and melting things - not good. They suggested every Jap car should be remapped to run 97 RON or even 95 RON as they will be set up for 100 RON and will do some damage, the more you moddify the worse it'll get.

Am i right in saying the standard ECU can not be mapped? therefore what is the cheapest alternative just to help me sleep better at night and not afraid of putting my right pedal to the floor?

They did mention the UNI-CHIP as a piggyback ? and co-incidently i know an authorised dealer who will fit and tune it for a few hundrend £££.

I know the UNI-CHIP is no good for serious BHP but i doubt i'll ever go more than BPU+

just interested in your thoughts.

There are many many people with J-spec cars running 1.2bar with just and FCD installed - no remaps.

The stocker ECU will self-learn it's ignition timing map within limits, thus adapting to our crappier fuel :)

What happens with Scoobies and Evo's I don't know, they may need remapping. Knowing something about one type of jap car doesn't mean all others are the same ;)

-Ian

I'm not an expert, but I think you are ok at 1.2 bar on a j-spec without requiring ecu mods, you will of course need the vfcd if you hit fuel cut. 1.2 is about the very max safe limit you could run on those ceramics anyway as you probably know.

I understand that you might be best off with a new (better) fuel pump e.g. a 255lph Walbro and a new fuel filter.

If you want to remap, the greddy emanage (and emanage ultimate) look very very good. I plan to fit an emanage ultimate and profec e-01 in the future. Also fitting a FPR will allow you to run higher fuel pressure and thus avoid "running lean", ideally this would be remapped using the emanage of course, this would allow safe and optimised operation whilst still retaining those 440 injectors, for a decent BPU+ car...

I'm sure some experts will be along to fill in the missing details, but I think thats about the size of it, HTH

Guest chiefvinso

Why wont the Uni chip be good for big bhp? According to them its fully programable with lots of extras like nos and other stuff that you have on your car.

Why wont the Uni chip be good for big bhp? According to them its fully programable with lots of extras like nos and other stuff that you have on your car.

just going on what others have said on this forum.

I know very little myself but willing to learn, thats why i'm interested in what others think.

Unless something has changed in the past year or so the Unichip can only give very limited adjustment on the Supra - it can do fuel but not the timing like it would normally do on other cars. I think this is because the Supra gets its signals from both crank & cam angles, there's no missing teeth in either to allow the Unichip to know what's going on.

I'd probably go for an eManage or snap Terry's ITC up and combine it with an SAFC II for basic control.