The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2002 TT 6SPD on eBay!

carl0s

Not sure about this SVA thing.

Does this mean if a car was imported and registered before the requirement for a SVA that it would be road legal.

Do you need any documentation that should come with the car?

If it's regeistered correctly then SVA is not a worry.

This SVA business - if was imported before April 2004 it would have successfully passed the E (Enhanced) SVA test assuming it came through proper channels. If this garage didnt do their homework (and not many who aren't import focussed did get caught out!) then it will not have passed ESVA (as post April 2004 all cars 97 onwards need to be tested against a Model Report). The Model Report (which is done in a lab :rtfm: with a sample Supra Twin Turbo) does not exist for this car because the emissions do not comply with EU levels. :zzz:

If a car don't have an ESVA certificate, you can't get it registered at the DVLA and therefore you can't get a legal number plate. Lots of late model car adverts hide the number plate for this reason - there is a 97 on ebay that nobody is touching for this reason I expect. :tumble:

If you wanna catch em out ask: "will i be the first owner?" - a trader will love to say "yes sir, absolutely!" - well that tells you its a fresh import and so be weary. Police do like to hang behind you and do the checks - very easy to press the pedal just a bit and add 20 mph to your speed right away too! :shrug:

Hope this helps.

If it's regeistered correctly then SVA is not a worry.

This SVA business - if was imported before April 2004 it would have successfully passed the E (Enhanced) SVA test assuming it came through proper channels. If this garage didnt do their homework (and not many who aren't import focussed did get caught out!) then it will not have passed ESVA (as post April 2004 all cars 97 onwards need to be tested against a Model Report). The Model Report (which is done in a lab :rtfm: with a sample Supra Twin Turbo) does not exist for this car because the emissions do not comply with EU levels. :zzz:

If a car don't have an ESVA certificate, you can't get it registered at the DVLA and therefore you can't get a legal number plate. Lots of late model car adverts hide the number plate for this reason - there is a 97 on ebay that nobody is touching for this reason I expect. :tumble:

If you wanna catch em out ask: "will i be the first owner?" - a trader will love to say "yes sir, absolutely!" - well that tells you its a fresh import and so be weary. Police do like to hang behind you and do the checks - very easy to press the pedal just a bit and add 20 mph to your speed right away too! :shrug:

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, all clear now! :)

Sorry but i disagree - no SVA means no registration and therefore DVLA can't give you the letters/numbers to go and get a legal plate made. I COULD go and ask anyone to make a number plate for me a bang it on any car i fancied - but would you buy from someone who runs a business like that...cos i wouldn't. :read:

Sorry but i disagree - no SVA means no registration and therefore DVLA can't give you the letters/numbers to go and get a legal plate made. I COULD go and ask anyone to make a number plate for me a bang it on any car i fancied - but would you buy from someone who runs a business like that...cos i wouldn't. :read:

Which is why I said "If it's registered correctly" - Please read things properly.